Monday, March 21, 2011

A Song For An Unsung Hero

Thank you for being who you are. 
A silent hero, a distant star,
whose light, though not perceived by most,
 is worthy of a mother's boast.
A poet I have never been. 
But to say nothing, well, that would be a sin.

I apologize for the inadequacy of the poem, but I dedicate this post to my oldest son.  For being the type of person whose actions speak louder than words.  For seeing a need and responding to it.  And for going back again today, only to come home with plans to organize more people to try to help him finish what he has started.   Not a little thing for a High School senior taking 5+ AP courses while rehearsing for a play that opens the end of next month!  As it is, he gets maybe 4 hours of sleep a night - on a good night.  But I know the joy and fulfillment he feels in doing what he's doing.   And I recognize the force that is guiding him.  Be it far from me to interfere...

This instance is not by far the first time he has given of himself because he could not just ignore a person in need and walk away.  This has become a pattern for him.  But this instance of kindness has especially touched me because it is not an easy task, as well as because of the complete selflessness behind it.  He is not getting service hours for it or class credit.  He is not even doing it as part of a youth group he belongs to.  As I said, he just saw a need and could not walk away. 

What a very lucky mother I am to be blessed with a son like you!   Both you and your brother are my biggest joys.  I am overwhelmed with gratitude that God has put you in my life.  With sons like you, I can handle whatever obstacles life throws my way.  You are both examples of all that is good in this world.  And you both never cease to amaze me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment