Saturday, March 26, 2011

Spiritual Food

I've had a rough time focusing on the spiritual aspects of Lent this year.  I'm ashamed to say that I got side-tracked, distracted, and bogged down with various issues, worries, and concerns.  It's not the first time that has happened either.  But it's the first time that one night - one wonderful evening of fellowship - could help get me back on track, especially after having sunk as low as I had.  I mean, I have been worried sick (no pun intended) about my health, the problems in Japan (we have relatives in Fukushima Prefecture), and my youngest son's baseball fundraiser (I completely lack the "selling" gene).   

We had a guest speaker at our church tonight - a wonderful man of God named Peter Gilquist, who spent several years seeking for the  church that he could call home.  His journey from his days in Campus Crusade to the Orthodox Christian faith was enlightening, sometimes humorous, and always quite riveting.  With over half the fast left, it was the incentive I needed to refocus, and re-evaluate my priorities.

Between our Vespers service and Fr. Gilquist's testimony, we all enjoyed a Lenten meal provided by the members of our parish.  Of course everything was Vegan (except the shrimp) and it was perfectly delicious in it simplicity.  We had shrimp with cocktail sauce, homemade hummus with pitas, stuffed grape leaves in a lemon sauce, tempenade with TLC crackers, guacamole with tortilla chips, bowls of fruit, and a chickpea and pepper salad.  I didn't have any dessert, but it looked so good - more than likely provided by "My Vegan Baker", whose link is in the right column of this Blog.  Anyway, tonight's spread gave me ideas for those nights when we've either had a big lunch or just want to munch on some finger food while watching the final 4 duke it out during March Madness.  Hope you all stay warm during this rather cold weekend (snow is still in our forecast for tomorrow!).

Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment