Saturday, March 5, 2011

Baseball Season Has Begun - Healthy Eating Becomes Challenging

It's that time of year when I can begin to relate to those who work full-time, who tell me, "Hey!  I want to eat healthy and would love to cook the meals you post, but I don't have the time!".

  Baseball season has begun, my youngest son plays both Varsity High School ball and pretty high level travel ball, and my life begins to revolve around his practices and games.  When do I find time to cook?  Actually, tonight I did cook - a rather quick Indian meal (see photo on right.  It is delicious, easy to make,  and is full of wonderful antioxidants, including the amazing cancer-fighting ones found in turmeric). 

My son had two games today, with the second one ending around 5:00 p.m.  Dinner wasn't too difficult to manage (health-wise), but lunch was.  We had to eat "between games". 

We went to what the boys call "Fast Food Central" and I chose to eat at Taco Bell.  They have what they call a Fresco menu now - items that are low in fat and calories, and, on that menu,  I love their bean burritos.  One of them is rather filling and has 340 calories and 8 grams of fat.  Dolled up with their green or roasted pepper hot sauce, they are quite tasty.  I figure that between the beans, tomatoes, and other tiny chopped veggies they contain, they are a safe and healthy bet.  They also have Fresco chicken and beef tacos, but I'm not doing the meat thing anymore...

So....my son had his Varsity pitching debut today (at 15 and 1/2, he is the youngest boy on the squad, so I was all nerves when he hit the mound) and he did great.  Struck out a couple of guys, including a top prospect for South Carolina University and allowed no runs.  Thank God!   In the second game, he played right field and made an amazing catch and was part of a terrific play that resulted in a runner being thrown out on 3rd.   Yup, I love baseball.  This is one of the "happy times" in my life.  God is so good.  I am undergoing medical tests right now - as I'm sure you have figured out from my last few posts - but there is never a better time than this to have to be poked and prodded.  I love baseball and never even think of the pain I usually "put up with" while I watch my son on the ball field - really!  It's one of those miracles I just can't explain...

Well, I wish you all a great remainder of your weekend and, until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment