Friday, March 25, 2011

The Bears In Our Lives


We all have what I have come to call "bears" in our lives.   Just like we all have our ball field - the place we go where we are able to forget all our worries and pain.  This past summer while my husband and I were hiking in the Shenandoah, a bear suddenly appeared on the narrow, rocky path in front of us.  I foolishly made eye contact with it and then, even more foolishly, ran.  No, the bear did not come after me, but I ended up in the Emergency Room of the local hospital anyway.  I sprained my ankle, tore a tendon, and bruised some bones because, in trying to run on a steep, rocky trail,  I tripped and fell.  As for my husband, he did what you are "supposed" to do - kept his eye on the bear and slowly backed away.   I love to hike, but the thought of hitting one of my favorite Shenandoah trails again turns my insides to ice.  
Why, you may wonder, am I talking about this now?  On this Blog?

Well, I feel like we all have that "bear" in our lives that keeps us from stepping outside of our comfort zone when it comes to food, too.  It is completely irrational for me to be afraid of bears.   Realistically, the chance of running across another one on one of our hikes is probably close to nil.  But I know I will have a hard time the first few times my husband and I hit those trails.  And, frankly,  a lot of what we choose to eat or not eat is just about as rational as my fear of running across another bear.  

I spoke to a friend today who said she was making dinner for a friend of hers who could not stop picking at the cheese she had grated for the recipe.  He thought it was the best thing he had had in a long time.  But as soon as she told him that the secret ingredient in it was horseradish, he would no longer touch it.  He hated horseradish!  The Vegetarian Moussaka I made the other night was a huge hit with all my guys until I told them that the ingredient that looked and almost tasted like meat was bulghur wheat.  My youngest son could barely finish it after that.  And I can't get him near my favorite Vegan restaurant.  He knows that everything on their menu that looks like meat is either seitan, tofu, or tempeh and he just can't stomach that.  And I know he is not alone.  People have irrational fears of eating things that are "new" or, God forbid, healthy!  

Especially (but definitely not exclusively) for my Orthodox friends who still have almost 30 days left of the Lenten fast, I challenge you to face that bear on your trail and try those recipes that are just outside of your comfort zone.  You may find, like I did some 10 or so years ago, that fish and scallops can be incredible, tofu surprisingly good, and things like seitan and bulghur wheat, delicious, if prepared properly.  Some of you have been sharing recipes with me that fall into these categories and I thank you.   I do have a request - a few years back someone made a tofu and broccoli quiche that was outstanding.  For the life of me, I can not find the recipe.  Nor can I remember who gave it to me.  If you have this recipe, please pass it on to me!  I can't wait to make it, not tell my guys what is in it, watch them "ooh and aah",  then pass it on to the rest of you!

Until next time, happy and healthy eating to you all!

      

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the challenge! Our whole family LOVES tofu. It's all about the flavors you mix with it. Now seitan... I tried it once and we had to throw it away. I bought it 3 weeks ago meaning to try a friend's recipe and haven't been able face that bear yet. Maybe this weekend. :) IL

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family is not especially fond of seitan either. But I really like it and look forward to trying it in the Beef Bourgignon recipe, where the wine will enhance its flavor. Good for you for considering giving it a try this weekend. Please share how you prepare it! I will let you all know what it does to the Beef Bourgignon.

    ReplyDelete