Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Secret to Long Life

I had a lovely conversation with a woman who will be 100 years old on her next birthday.  She is in good health,  and looks about 30 years younger than she is.  I asked her what her secret was and she said "Peace".  And then she proceeded to elaborate. 

She was married 58 years to a wonderful man who she swears never once raised his voice at her, belittled her, or criticized her.  Put simply, he adored her and she always knew it.  We talked some more and I discovered that this beautiful, vibrant 99-year-old woman has also made just about all of her own clothes - really nice, well-coordinated outfits!  And, sometime in the 1980's, she began to paint - in earnest.  I mean, her art is really good!  I don't know how many paintings she has done, but I saw several of them hanging on the walls of her daughter's home.  Her sense of composition, choice of colors, and design were incredible.  I thought about her creative energies and realized that she had not changed subjects on me when she began to describe her "hobbies".  They, too, are another source of peace in her life.  Sewing and painting are both rather labor-intensive activities, yet there is a joyous calm that comes with completing such tasks. 

And I began to examine my own life.  I, too, am lucky to have a husband who loves me.  But what about those creative energies that God has bestowed upon us.  Am I using mine?  I used to scrap a lot, but now I see the huge pile of photos and documents sitting under my oldest son's album and realize that I am so far behind that the thought of it makes me cringe.  I suppose this Blog is creative in its own way.  I can't display the contents of it on my living room wall or anything, but it's creative nonetheless.  As I said sometime back, stress is a killer.  And my (almost) 100-year old friend made me realize that getting your creative juices flowing is an excellent stress-reliever.

 After talking with my 99-year old friend whose "peacefulness" was found in both the adoration of her spouse, and sewing and painting, I realized that peace, whether it is experienced through the assurance of love or realized through utilizing one's creative energies, is indeed powerful medicine.  Something to think about.....

Today was one of those days where I ate most of my meals out -went to church, to my son's house league championship basketball game (they lost but it was a great game!), and then did some shopping with my husband.  I had a nonfat chai before the game,  and a Mediterranean veggie sandwich and an apple at Panerra afterwards.  Later, I snacked on some tea, crackers, and edemame at home.  Not a great day diet-wise, but not bad either.  Will make one of our favorite salmon recipes tomorrow evening.  Until then, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment