Tuesday, March 1, 2011

When Prayer is The Best Medicine

I am looking at the title of this post and realize that prayer is always the best medicine - whether you personally believe in a Supreme Being or not.  My oldest son vacillates between belief and unbelief and, yet, I can see God's hand in his life - big time!  Especially this year when things really fell into place for him.  I recall the night that something got me out of bed at 3:00 a.m. to go to the computer, find, reprint and sign a form that the college he was accepted to (notified by e-mail that next evening) had accidentally lost. They needed that form, which was fax'd to them when my son got to school, to finish processing his application that day.  That same something has been my strength, my hope, and my rock through all the trials I have been through and was my Guide when I needed direction a number of years back regarding food and the role it played in my life.  (See yesterday's post, "Words to Live By").

I have read books on prayer and it appears that monks and nuns engage in it pretty much continuously.  I wish I had that kind of disciplne.  Unfortunately, with the hustle-bustle of 21st Century motherhood, I have far too many distractions to be in continual prayer.  But I do know that when I am engaged in it, I feel a wonderful peace begin to envelope me.  Prayer brings clarity, encouragement, wisdom, and healing. 

So why talk about prayer in a (primarily) Nutrition blog?  Well, if you are finding it difficult to keep a food diary, count calories, take those 30-45 minute daily walks, or even add those antioxidant-powered fruits and vegetables to your diet, try what it was that really got me started - prayer.  Pray for the strength to make the changes you need for your health and for the health of those you love.

Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment