Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Slam Dunk!

Today my son made a Hail Mary, 3-point shot at the buzzer from half court.  That doesn't happen very often and, when it did, I felt such a rush of joy.  Whenever any of my children accomplishes something big or has one of those "moments", I feel it, too.  I know you can relate.  It's one of the nicest parts of being a spouse, a friend, and, especially, a mother.  

I talked about how love connects us.  It's what I believe woke my husband the other night when I needed him.  This connectedness that we experience when we love is the impetus behind praying for one another.  And the evidence for the efficacy of prayer is the adrenaline rush we get when we share in the joys, successes, and accomplishments of those we love. 

It is said that God is love.  And among the many things  He has done for us, I believe He created all the beauty of the world for our enjoyment because He loves us. He, in turn, takes joy in our accomplishments, and achievements - just like we do in those of our children.  Made in His image, we, like Him, are capable of creating and accomplishing amazing things.  But, beyond that, when we love Him, we can draw on His power - that "connectedness" I spoke of before comes into play. 

When we shut ourselves off from Him, we still have creative energies, but are shut off from all we are capable of being.  We're like run-aways trying to find a place in a cold, strange city.  We don't always make the best decisions and things usually don't turn out so good for us. 

The feeling that I felt when my baby sunk that shot tonight?  Magnify that about 1,000 times and you might get a glimpse of how God feels when we turn to Him, acknowledge Him, and love Him...

When I called this site "Epicurean de-Lite", my husband reminded me that "Lit" means "Light" in French.  I love God - always have - and hope that during this Lenten period, His light will shine upon your hearts, and that you will trust in Him to help you accomplish all you seek to do to make your "self" the vessel He intended it to be.

What did I eat today?  I ate lunch out and had a Mediterranean appetizer consisting of Baba Ganouj, Hummus, and Taramosalata (red caviar with potato) with some pita wedges.  For dinner, I made a unique pasta that a friend sent me from Italy that was covered with a Pomodoro sauce and some Parmesan cheese.  On the side I had a serving of peas and a glass of cranberry juice.  It was a busy day - it was an easy meal.

Until next time, happy and healthy eating and God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment