Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It All Comes Full Circle

I just finished reading Of Human Bondage, by Somerset Maugham.  At one point in this rather depressing but well-crafted novel, the protagonist discovers that the main reason people commit suicide is not because of unrequited love, but because of financial ruin.  And it is no secret that the financial impact of the tragedy in Japan  is what has much of the world gritting its proverbial teeth these days.

We all know that big business essentially runs this country and drives its decisions and policies.  I'm sure the same holds true for much of Western civilization.  A healthy economy means a healthy nation.   

Nuclear electrical generation (or nuclear energy) is cheap.  And because of that, it provides 75% of France's power, 30% of Japan's, and 20% of U.S.'s power alone.  155 nuclear power plants are planned for the future, with 320 more proposed worldwide.    And the potential instability of the product does not seem to be a factor in determining where these reactors are built.  I don't know what the thought process is behind where they are placed, but they are extremely economical compared to other energy sources and, thus, are the power source of the future.

So, living in Capitalist societies whose very structures will collapse if their currencies do, we have to accept the fact that decisions will often be made that do not have the individuals' best interests in mind.  We put small farmers out of business so that food, the product that sustains human life, can be controlled by "big business", keeping the profits from these commodities in the able hands of those who will then recirculate said profits, keeping the market stable and the economy alive.

Is it any wonder that the Bible says that you can not serve 2 masters?  That you either serve God or money?  Think about it - if we let our conscience drive us and made decisions that we knew were morally right,  we would not have cut down the rain forests, or have allowed small farms to be destroyed, replacing them by mega-companies, eventually leading to things like Monsanto's genetically modified crops and foods.  And we would not have chosen nuclear power over more expensive but much safer natural gas or standard electrical power.  We would also not take 100's of thousands of jobs from American workers and transfer them to offshore locations where labor is cheap and working-conditions questionable.   But this is the world we live in - even in a country that was once "one nation under God". 

So what do we do?  Individually we can still make the right choices.  We can support local farmers by buying produce from farmer's markets or joining a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture).  Or buy organic produce when it is available.  Send the message out to the big guys that we won't let them control what we put into our bodies.  If our county has plans to replace our standard power facility with a nuclear power plant, fight the decision by protesting and writing our congressmen, who do care about being re-elected.  And, last but not least, pray.  Pray that our leaders will use wisdom in deciding our fate and the fate of our children.  Pray that they will learn from others' mistakes and will make decisions that are "right and good".  It's easy to sit around and get angry at your elected officials.  It takes effort - emotionally - to sincerely pray for them.  It also helps if we exercise self-control. 

Recall the words of the early 4th century aesthetic, John Cassian.  He warns that if we have eaten too much, we are unable to guard our thoughts.  We have a hard time keeping our restless impulses at bay, or restraining our minds from shameful fantasies (from 2/28 post "Words to Live By").  Neilos the Ascetic, the 5th century monk, took it one step further: "Gluttony", he said, "destroys everything good.  Once it gains the upper hand, it drives out self-control, moderation, courage, fortitude, and all the other virtues". 

So, we have come full-circle.  We need to take control of our lives by choosing what is good and right for us and our loved ones.  We need to exercise self-control and consume in moderation.  And, remember, prayer is always the best medicine for whatever ails us, our family, or the world at large.  God bless you all until we meet again!

6 comments:

  1. Who makes up big business? Lots of employees who are your neighbors, your friends and maybe many in your family. Do you think most of these people are trying to do the wrong things? Do you think these people are not God fearing and God loving people? Think about how offensive the posts you have put up are. Stick to the nutrition topics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point well made. I never meant to offend anyone. But I am glad to see that people like you care enough to speak your mind. The whole thing in Japan just broke my heart. I did not know until the tsunami hit that they had nuclear power plants there. A friend of mine told me that she knows of someone who, in the early 1970's, quit his job when he was part of the group that was to install the plants there. He foresaw that, geographically, they did not make sense, and could not, with good conscience, have anything to do with them. I share his type of sentiments. And I respect him for what he did.

    As for big businesses being run by God-fearing people, yes I am sure that many of them are. But putting small farmers and other little guys out of business, finding the cheapest way to do things even if they can have dangerous repercussions, the many jobs taken off shore and leaving pockets of our nation jobless...What drives those decisions? It is these types of business decisions that grieve me and, call me naive, but I hope they are not being made by God-fearing Christians. In a nation where over 40% of people claim to be atheist, I do not believe it is the God-fearing people that I am referring to. Granted, none of us is perfect. A lot of God-fearing people make a lot of mistakes and a lot of bad decisions. I confess that I have and I do.

    As for sticking to nutrition topics, I mostly will do so and I hope you will still read what I have to say. I thank you, whoever you are, for doing so. So much so that I have to ask you - does it also offend you when I talk about my faith? With all my heart, I hope not! I agree that politics probably should not be a part of what I discuss anymore since I set this up as a nutrition/spiritual Blog. Those are my passions - politics are all too often just a source of frustration and my venting about them has offended one too many of you. For that I ask that you please accept my most sincere apology...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have got to be kidding! why apologize for calling a spade a spade? again, you are not saying that all big businesses are bad, just those that act selfishly. and your point about serving god or money was valid. if you are going to call yourself a christian, you will hopefully not be the ceo of a business that take jobs away from americans or creates products that can hurt or kill people because theyre cheap. anyway, you asked us to pray for those in power to make the right decisions. whats wrong with that? my dad is a big business man and i doubt he would be offended by what you said. im not particularly into religion but i'd be sad if you stopped writing about your faith. thats my two cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear confused,
    Again I thank you for understanding my point. Whoever you are, and I assume you are young (you refer to your Dad being a big business man), you are articulate, and I admire your passion. I hope you never lose it, You made my day. I wasn't getting any responses whatsoever to these "risky" posts or to any posts, to be honest (which has been very frustrating. I feel like I am talking to the wind half the time). And then to see that I've been offending people! It just took me completely by surprise. I realize that I am naive in a lot of ways. Right or wrong, I forgot that if something CAN be interpreted a certain way, it will be. I don't know if my apology is enough or if anyone I have offended will even bother to read it, but all I can do is put it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your apologies and the change to one blog. Tying your spiritual journey to your passion for proper nutrition is a topic that will be of interest to many. And how this passion changed your life after having cancer will bring hope. So I encourage you to continue......... Please just consider that when you assign blame for any issue - there are real people that you are blaming. People who are trying to make good decisions to better the world in many, many cases including I believe most ceos. I have met many btw. You find yourself in fortunate circumstances. There are many in the world of big business that have helped you along the way. Focus on the good that the profits have given in your life and those of others throughout the world. The profits allow these big companies to keep people employed. Whether in the US or overseas - the fact is that people are employed. These profits made the lives you and I lead today, much improved even from the lives we had as little as 20 yrs ago. Your creative outlet is supported by the profits made on this website. I hope it is making a profit - a great big one. Most people can send their kids to college, pay their mortgage and feed their families whatever they like because of these profits made by big business. I am glad that I was able to help you believe that people are reading your blog. I will tell you that I believe you can best help your fellow cancer survivors with information relating to what you found on your journey. Also those who are battling with weight issues. Like you, I shop in about five aisles in the grocery store. I have recently started buying organic - it is more expensive indeed. I am blessed that I can afford it. I have battled weight issues as well. But I don't blame anyone for making the chips, the candies and the other assorted junk food. I don't blame anyone for my sugar addition other than myself. I believe that God helped me in my journey as well. You can be an inspiration best by not judging others without a full command of the facts - but through telling your own story - which I bet is very interesting. Best wishes with your tests. And God Bless America.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Anonymous -
    The above comment was somehow sent to my spam box and I just read it today. It was so encouraging and deserves a response! First of all, thank you for your candor and for your suggestions. What I always wanted to do was to tie my spiritual journey with my nutritional one and did not know if people wanted to hear that. You have inspired me! It sounds like you, too, have a story to tell. I hope you can find inspiration from mine. All the best to you and, yes, God bless America!!

    ReplyDelete