Thursday, March 17, 2011

Chocolate Cake with Beets? Non-Dairy Cheese? It's All Good!

Since I got back on track with the fast, I have not felt as weighed down by things, and I feel in charge of my life again.  It feels great.  But I have to confess - I still feel the need for some comfort food now and then.  Especially as I wait for the verdict from my various doctors. At times like this, I especially crave chocolate.   Well, thanks to a good freind, I discovered a completely Vegan chocolate cake - with a very yummy frosting - that is moist and surprisingly good (yup - that's an actual photo of a slice of it on the left).  What I especially like about it is that it contains almost 2 cups of pureed beets!  A  guilt-free indulgence if I've ever seen one.  The way I see it is, if I eat a huge slab of this cake, I am probably getting a full serving of beets!  At the bottom of my Blog page, you will find the links for both the cake and the frosting.  I made the cake in a 9"x13" pan and it was perfect after baking for 35 minutes.  I hope that those of you who are fasting off of meat and dairy this Lent will give this cake a try.  (Note that the chocolate frosting is a must to get the full benefit of how good Vegan chocolate desserts can be).

I had mentioned a while back that I have some bean burger recipes that my family and I enjoy.  I made one tonight that is a favorite.  It is made with chickpeas (or garbanzo beans).  And I substituted the 1 egg it called for with Energ G Egg Replacer powder, which can be found at Wegman's or Whole Foods.  On the side I served scalloped potatoes - another family favorite.  Only this time I substituted the cheese the recipe calls for with a shredded Vegan cheddar made by a company called Daiya.  It is made with things like tapioca or arrowroot powder, and pea protein.  I did use non-fat milk in the recipe.  If I used both soy milk and non-dairy cheese and it came out funky, I would not be able to tell which ingredient was to blame.  As for the cheese, it was not bad!  It was also pretty good melted on top of the bean burgers (usually I use fat-free American cheese slices in the recipe).  It tasted surprisingly like real cheddar cheese.  Check the link on the right hand column under the description of them  for the recipes.

Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment