Sunday, March 27, 2011

Just A Dusting (with A Date Coconut Cake To Celebrate)

The forecast went from 1-3 inches, to 1 inch of snow for last night and this morning.  And this is what we got (see photo on left).  It's what we call a "dusting".  And you can see why.  Just looking at it makes me hungry for a nice chocolate cake with that sprinkling of powdered sugar on top.  It's kind of pretty and the daffodils weren't even phased by it.  By noon it was completely gone.  And, as much as I love snow, I am so glad.  We have a big game tomorrow night against what will more than likely be our toughest opponent.  Of course I am referring to my son's baseball team.  I love March Madness and was thrilled to see VCU make it to the Final Four, but my spring sport is and (hopefully) always will be baseball.  Preparing to satisfy the other side of my brain, my other son is at an all-day play rehearsal for Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat, which opens next month.  What, you may ask, does this have to do with Nutrition?   Not much.  But on a beautiful day like today, do you really want to hear about GMO's?  They're in the news again and are very much on my mind. 

I did make an absolutely delicious cake today.  In the December 2008 issue of Cooking Light magazine (see photo and link on the right) is a recipe for Sticky Date and Coconut Cake and it is goo-ood!  Substitute the butter with a vegan margarine, the egg for Egg Replacer Powder, and the 2 teaspoons milk for plain soy milk and you keep it Lenten/Vegan and you lose nothing in overall flavor.  

Dinner tonight was Indian food.  We had Potato Pea Curry and Masoor Dal (one of the recipes I include in my "Bean" Blog post) served over basmati rice with a bit of saffron. 

I do hope you have enjoyed your weekend.  Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment