Friday, August 26, 2011

"WhoNu?" Cookie Review

There's a new cookie in town!  And it has as much fiber as a bowl of oatmeal, as much calcium and Vitamin D as an 8 oz. glass of milk, and as much Vitamin C as a cup of blueberries.  The cookies are called "WhoNu?: Nutrition Rich Cookies" and come in at least 3 flavors (that I could find): chocolate chip, chocolate cream filled, and vanilla cream-filled. 

I was introduced to them by a good friend of mine and there were several of us to sample them the evening she brought them out.  We all agreed that the chocolate chip variety had a nice texture - soft and chewy like it says on the box.  And I liked the taste - enough to go out and buy my own box.  My son and his friends, however, felt that they did not have enough taste - not sure what that means, but I'm guessing they weren't buttery enough?  Maybe not sweet enough?  For me, they were just fine.  My sons liked the chocolate cream cookies better - said they almost tasted like an Oreo cookie.  We haven't tried the vanilla creams yet. 

Besides the fiber, calcium, and Vitamins D and C, these cookies contain respectable amounts of Vitamins A, B12, E, and Iron, and about 10% of many other essential Vitamins and Minerals.  Basically, they contain the equivalent nutritional component of a fortified breakfast cereal, which, for a serving of cookies, is not bad.  A serving, by the way, is 3 cookies.  And for the chocolate chip variety (my personal favorite), it contains 150 calories and 5 grams of fat. 

For a number of years now, I just have not eaten many cookies.  Period.  Not unless I made them myself, which meant they were date walnut bars, or unless they were made by My Vegan Baker (see Blog post on her delicious and nutritious products).  It's nice to know that there is a product out there that I can pick up if I am away at a baseball tournament or visiting my older son at William & Mary.  Or if I am shopping and get that urge for something quick and sweet.

Well, it looks like a hurricane is coming our way!  I have stocked up on water, food, paper products, and well, a couple of boxes of WhoNu? cookies.  Really.....

2 comments:

  1. You can get the chocolate chip cookies as soft or crunchy. And I have finally tracked down the vanilla creams and, even though I love chocolate, those are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a box of the vanilla creams and haven't tried them yet. Will do so today. Thanks so much for the input!

    ReplyDelete