Monday, August 15, 2011

Beach Week - Not Just For High School Graduates!

We just got back from spending a week in Duck, North Carolina.   Good-bye reality.  Hello Summer dreamin'.  O.K.  So, the first few days were hot - close to 100 degrees.  But, once the weather cooled off, it was amazing.  The last 2 days were so beautiful that we stayed on the beach from just after lunch until the sun went down.  Think cool breezes, kites flying, dogs frolicking in the surf, and, yes, food - lots of food.  Especially after walking along the beach for an hour or two, (or three? - it sure felt like it!). 

We ate out a few times.  Once at a Japanese steakhouse.  And then at the Blue Point.  If you ever go to the Outer Banks in North Carolina, you have to eat at the Blue Point.  Dinner reservations must be made a month in advance, but the food is A-1, first class, amazing.  Pictured below is a Vegan dinner that the chef invented for us when we were there.

It may not look like much, but every single item was mouth-watering - from the perfectly seasoned zucchini toss to the melon with tomato jam and basil.  I truly believe he invented this meal the night we were there and if he were to feature it on the Iron Chef, he would win for the Veggie Battle.  Not familiar with the show?  It's still on.  Check it out.  It is hilarious. 
When we cooked for ourselves, we weren't quite as creative as the Blue Point chef, but we did pretty well, if I say so myself.  I don't know about the other 7 folks staying at our house, but I only gained 3 pounds the entire week.  That's with 3 meals, snacks, dessert, and a fair amount of Virginia and New York wines.  Just a few days of "watching it", with the addition of some nice long walks through our neighborhood trails and they'll be gone....Yup, I love our trips to the Outer Banks.  But now, as reality sinks its teeth into my unwilling neck, and as I prepare to send my oldest son off to college while I watch my baby get his license and drive his way into independence,  I can dream and cook and share it all with you.  So until next time, happy and healthy eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment