Thursday, August 4, 2011

Are All Bed & Breakfast Inns This Wonderful?

Last weekend my husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary by spending it in a Bed & Breakfast near one of Virginia's Wine Countries.  I have to confess that it was the first time I had ever been to a Bed & Breakfast anywhere and the experience was wonderful.

The couple who owned Tanglewood, the renovated turn-of-the century mansion were, unbenownst to me, both renowned journalists who now write non-fiction books, one of which I am currently reading.  Their Bed & Breakfast is located on top of a small hill and tucked within some trees, giving it just the right amount of charm and privacy.  The rooms are all tastefully decorated and each has a private bath.  The common areas are filled with original works of art that the couple has collected and are comfortable and inviting.  And the breakfasts at this "Bed and Breakfast"?   Well, they were amazing!

The photo above is of our first morning's feast.  After being served a cappuccino and some tea, we were treated to one of the best banana breads I have ever had.  And I love a good banana bread!  That's it in the bottom right corner.  We were then served a bowl of fresh fruit - my husband's was honeydew melon and blueberries with a light home-made syrup and mine, blueberries and cream.  After that, we were presented with the 4-course main meal, which consisted of  an egg and cheddar souffle, home fries, bacon, and baked tomatoes with oregano and mozzarella.   All of it, of course, was home-made and all of it was outstanding.  I tried to replicate the baked tomatoes with mozzarella and mine fell short of what we had at Tanglewood. I don't know if it was the home-grown tomatoes or the quality of the cheese they used, but, to me, that was the most delicious part of what was a perfectly cooked breakfast.  

The breakfast and decor were only part of what made our stay at Tanglewood an unforgettable experience.  The couple who owns and runs the place are perfect hosts who made us feel like family.  It was quite warm last weekend and they kept a well-stocked refrigerator in the parlor complete with bottled water, beer, sodas, and white wine.  They made reservations for us at a fabulous French restaurant, and were helpful with other recommendations, local directions, etc.  Which leads to my question:  Are all Bed and Breakfasts this wonderful?  If so, I have discovered the way I want to "see America".  

Pictured above is a photo of the baked tomatoes I enjoyed so much - I could have made a meal out of them and the banana bread alone.   Below is a picture of the beautiful stained-glass windows that cover the wall leading up to the second floor where the bedrooms are.
Tanglewood is located in Front Royal, Virginia.  If you are looking for a special place to celebrate a milestone in your life, I highly recommend it.  Heck, I recommend it to anyone who wants to spend a nice weekend being pampered by a truly special couple in a truly special place.  Until next time, happy and healthy eating!!



No comments:

Post a Comment