Monday, August 29, 2011

Are Cooking Magazines Obsolete?

Joining a CSA has been a lot of fun, but I have to confess that I used to be stymied when it came to what I could prepare with such things as Collard Greens, Swiss Chard, Beets, and scads of tomatoes and peaches.  Enter websites such as allrecipes.com and Foodnetwork.com.  I know there are other recipe-laden websites, but in my opinion, these 2 rock!  You can find recipes for virtually any ingredient out there.  And what I love the most about the sites is that the recipes are given 1 to 5 stars, with helpful comments as to why the recipes were ranked the way they were.  I have made it a rule to only make 5 Star recipes with no less than 20 people rating them.  Using these simple rules, I have made the most incredible Swiss Chard, Beets, and Peach recipes.  I also found an outstanding recipe for lamb burgers - one that a young guest who had never tried lamb before truly enjoyed.  This week I will make a pork tenderloin with cabbage!  Yes, you guessed it - we are getting cabbage from our farm on Thursday. 

So, in the scheme of things, what does this mean?  Well...I have been subscribing to 3 cooking magazines for at least 9 years now and may actually let the subscriptions lapse.  Why?  For one thing, having hundreds of magazines with little bookmarks in them makes it difficult to keep track of individual recipes.  I have listings of which issues have what, but sifting through stacks of what used to be orderly piles of magazines gets frustrating!  I simply do not have the shelf space to properly file and organize them. 

I guess what I am saying is that, along with an e-mail address, a Facebook page, and a Blog, I will now more than likely be using my computer to determine much of what my family eats each week.  Why not?  I've already learned how to navigate around Amazon.com to buy things that I can't find in stores - just ordered A Diary From Dixie, by Mary Chestnut.  And this coming from a girl who used to think that computers meant Big Brother could be watching us! 

I know I am not unique in doing this - with the recipes I mean.  Some of the recipes I have found online have had hundreds of people make and rate them.  One had over a thousand!   Of course, That means finding a new way to categorize and organize those...But hey!  I suppose I can just do that online....

No comments:

Post a Comment