Friday, March 4, 2011

The Power Of Love

Love.  It's a word we throw around a lot.  We love our spouses, our children, our parents, our friends.  But we also love pizza, ice cream, our favorite song, movie, or book. 

Funny thing is that love all too often gets swallowed up or eclipsed by criticism, misplaced anger, envy, judgment, indifference, or pride.  Whenever we do not have our "brother or sister"'s best interests at heart, when we assume the worst (whether it's something they've said or done), when we do not rejoice in their triumphs, and lift them up through their struggles, we are not truly loving them.

In fact, without love as our driving force, all of the actions we perform, no matter how noble or seemingly holy, profit us nothing.  Remember, "Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails."  (I Corinthians 13: 4-8a)  

I think of the times that I could really feel God's presence when I prayed - the times that I felt him comforting me like a warm blanket on a cold day, guiding me into action, or speaking to my heart in that still small voice.  And they all have one thing in common.  I was praying so hard that I was either in tears or very close to it - tears for my husband, my child, my brother, my friend, or myself.  In every case they were ultimately tears of love - whether they stemmed from sorrow, concern, desperation, hope, or repentance.  Those are the times that I know He was listening, that I know His will was done, that the prayers were answered - even if not always to my liking or understanding.

I had one of those moments last night.  I awoke at 3:06 a.m. with my heart beating so fast that I could not catch a breath.  I tried to get up, but my feet were cold and tingling, as were both my arms.  I thought of calling out and waking my boys, but one of them has a big game tomorrow, the other is in Delaware today at an Invitational Choral Concert.  My husband was in Puerto Rico on business and, well, I never call 911.  I thought of calling my husband - I really did - a number of times.  But it was late and, even though I could use his prayers, I could not see myself "bothering" him.  Instead, I began to pray - hard!  I thanked God for all that He has blessed me with (and it is truly a lot), I asked His forgiveness for things I have let slip out of conscious thought, and I lifted up petitions.  I prayed for every family member and friend that God put on my heart and, finally, I prayed for myself.  As I prayed, I felt my heart start to calm down, the warmth return to my hands and feet, and that wonderful peace surround me.  Today, my husband called me from Puerto Rico, where they are 1 hour ahead of us, and told me that he was awakened at 4:00 a.m. and could not go back to sleep.  I told him what had happened and he told me that I should have called him - he was awake and would have definitely prayed with me.  And I realized that love connects us across the miles - that's how powerful it is.  Do I believe it is a coincidence that he was awakened just as I was having a terrible attack of tachycardia?  No.  Not for one minute.  And I should have called him...

I look at that list of what love is from I Corinthians and admit that I sometimes struggle with some of them.  Sometimes, especially with one of those I love the most, I am much too easily moved to anger, and find it hard not to keep a record of wrongs.  But I realize that I am but a work in progress.  And, as long as I strive for the "better things" (i.e., to really love as God does), friends become "family", and prayers are not prayed in vain.

I guess the only food on my mind tonight is of the spiritual variety.  It's been that kind of night.  Memory eternal, Diane!  Eleni, Tina, and Georgia, remember - love never dies.  And may God bless you all....

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! Inspirational!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I always feel "naked", for lack of a better word, when I write this kind of post. But I really felt led to do it, so I am so glad it inspired someone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy - that was so sweet and I'm sure quite scary for you!! I hope you are feeling better now and this has not occured for the last couple of nights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rebecca. Well, last night was bad, too. Not sure what is up exactly. This week I will be getting a lot of "results" from tests and doctor visits. Please keep praying. I hope to post some good news soon!

    ReplyDelete