Tuesday, March 8, 2011

About Forgiveness...

To err is human.  To forgive is divine.  It sounds cliche, but there is wisdom in those words.  Besides being the last day we eat dairy for a while, this past Sunday was what we call "Forgiveness Sunday."  In some Orthodox churches, every person asks forgiveness of every other person in the church.  It works like this:  one person goes to the front of the church and then each person files by until there is a long line of people from which the very last person asks forgivness.  In our current church, we only approach those whom we feel we may have offended.  From a purely logical point of view, the latter seems to make more sense.  However, we are often so blind to the consequences of our actions that I fear we more than likely offend more people than we think we do.

So, since I did not make it to church this past Sunday, in this post I would like to attempt to purge myself of some of the guilt associated with the wrongdoings I know I have committed this year. 

If I have said anything that has hurt you, it is because I spoke without thinking and I'm sorry.  I never would want to intentionally hurt anyone.  There is enough pain inherent with living in this world without my adding to it by means of an unbridled tongue. 

If I have done anything that has upset, offended, or irritated you, I pray that I will be more sensitive to your feelings so that it will not happen again, and sincerely ask your forgiveness. 

This includes my family, friends, and even my blog-readers whom I have not had the privilege of meeting face-to-face.    

Eating-wise, today was a disaster for me.  I had a good enough breakfast - steel cut oats with a bit of raw sugar and some tea.  But the day plummetted after that.  I ran some errands and grabbed a nonfat chai from Starbucks (still not too bad, but certainly not a proper lunch).  But dinner is where I really blew it.  I went to a parents' baseball meeting at the High School that I thought would end no later than 8:00, after which I planned to eat some Chinese vegetables at my favorite local restaurant.  Instead, because I got out of the meeting closer to 9:15 and was starving, I ate the easiest thing I could get my hands on -  a Chik Fil A sandwich and some lemonade.  This is a classic example of putting a bad day behind you and getting back on track again tomorrow, which I will - I promise.  Ahhh...That other thing they say is true too, you know:  confession is indeed good for the soul.

Happy and healthy eating to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment