Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Game Cancelled - Good Intentions Ruined...

A little bit of rain usually does not result in cancellation of a High School baseball game, even when the thermostat reads 36 degrees Fahrenheit.  The fans shiver under layers of coats and blankets, and the boys field and hit with any layering done under their uniforms.  But tonight the boys were sent home and the game moved to Saturday afternoon.   Ooops!  

Why "Ooops"?  Well, even though I love night baseball, what I don't love anymore are the meals at Fast Food Central that follow the game.  I have had one too many Fresco Bean Burritos and am even tired of Popeye's Red Beans 'n Rice.  So I  developed a plan.  It's called "Huge Healthy Game-Day Lunches".  Today, I had some Baba Ganouj (love that stuff!)  with 3 small whole-grain pita's and a wrap filled with Hummus and Tabouleh.  And I washed it all down with a glass of lemonade.  It was wonderful (o.k. - so I didn't quite finish the wrap), and probably contained about 950 calories in total.  I ate it all late in the day (finished eating close to 2:00), so I was substantially done eating for the day.  I had planned to have a non-fat chai and a fiber bar after the game.  But since it was cancelled, my family expected a homemade Lenten dinner, and I did not disappoint them.  Problem is that I ate it, too.  So, add this to the oatmeal I had for breakfast, and total calories for the day were close to 2,000.  And it was a low-exercise day (too cold to walk the trails - just popped in a CD and did some impromptu dancing).  You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men...

The recipe for tonight's dinner was sent to me by a good friend and it was delicious!  It was Better-N-Beef Bourguignon.  It is good enough to pass along, so here goes:
Ingredients:
4-6 seitan medallions OR 4-6 Portobello mushrooms
6 sliced carrots
1 lg. onion, sliced
1 bottle dry red wine
1 cup vegetable broth
1 garlic clove, minced
1-2 Bay leaves
1 T. cornstarch (to thicken broth)
salt & pepper (to taste)
fresh parsley (for garnish(
Directions:  Saute seitan or mushrooms in a small amount of oil for 2-3 minutes on each side, then remove from pan; add garlic and saute 2 minutes.  Add wine and broth, carrots, onion, and Bay leaves and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 30 minutes with lid half on so wine mixture reduces a bit.  Add seitan (or mushrooms) to vegetables and simmer with lid on for another 30 minutes.  Remove seitan and shrooms and place on a serving plate.  Mix cornstarch with 1 T. water, add to veggie mixture, stirring well to thicken.  Pour sauce over seitan (or mushrooms).  Sprinkle with parsley and serve over noodles.

I hope you will try this recipe.  I made it with Portobello mushrooms tonight, which I cut into thirds because they were huge.  I plan to try it with seitan next time.  Until we meet again, happy and healthy eating!

3 comments:

  1. 1 bottle of red wine is a lot! I noticed that our friend's original recipe had this note about the wine: "If you'd like to use less wine, simply include 1-2 cups of wine and 2 additional cups of vegetable broth. You may also consider using non-alcoholic wine."

    I vote for cooking with 2 cups and drinking the other 2 cups in a glass. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you make your own vegetable broth or use boxed or cubes? Which brand is the best?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right about the original recipe giving less wine as an option, but it isn't how I would choose to make it. It was excellent with the full bottle. And the wine I used costs less than $7.00 a bottle. So you can buy one for the recipe and one to sip from. As for the vegetable broth, I use Nature's Promise Organic that comes in a carton. Hope you try this recipe and that you enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete