Monday, March 7, 2011

Now It Gets Tough!

Last Sunday was Meatfare Sunday for Orthodox Christians around the world.  Today essentially marks the beginning of Great Lent for us, diet-wise.  What does that mean?  It means that from now until April 24th, we are supposed to eat no meat and no dairy.  Of course there are exceptions for those with over-riding health issues, allergies, etc.  But, overall, our diets will now pretty much be Vegan, with the exception of the fish that some Orthodox (like us) eat during this time. 

I am not at all a fan of meatless meats, especially those that pretend to be chicken.  And I am  not crazy about soy cheeses either.  They don't "melt" and the taste, well, I haven't had any that resemble their dairy counterparts in flavor.  Good news is that there are many cuisines out there that do not use meat or dairy in a good amount of their dishes.  Examples are Thai, Chinese, Indian, and meatless Mediterranean, such as Greek and Lebanese.  Even with Mexican food, portobello mushroom fajitas have hit the restaurant scene this past year and are quite delicious (of course, you'd want to hold the sour cream and cheese).  For the most part (except for the fish), we are Vegans for the next 46 days, which is a good thing.  It's almost like a 46-day cleanse. 

I have to confess that, due to allergies in my household and my younger son's dietary requirements (as a 15 and 1/2 year-old athlete, he should be consuming between 3,500 and 3,750 calories a day!), we do not stick to a strict Vegan diet 7 days a week.  I will allow my youngest to eat whatever his team eats when they go out or are served meals before games, and I will leave some dairy in our diet.  Overall, however, I will be cooking Vegan (when I'm home) and am looking forward to the challenge.  Got to pull out those Chinese, Thai, and Mediterranean recipes.  And my Indian ones are always on hand! 

Well, tonight is one of those nights where we will all be running in about 5 different directions, so until next time, happy and healthy eating!
P.S.  If anyone out there knows of any good non-dairy cheeses, please let me know!  I would love to "stand corrected" on that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment