Friday, March 18, 2011

If You Build It, He Will Come

"Field of Dreams" - I love that movie!  And I get it - I mean, I really "get it".  There is something about the smell of the grass, the loud ping that is heard when bat connects with ball, the growing tension of watching your team's pitcher wind up for a pitch (that's my son on the left) and the warmth of relief when he "hits his spot".   I love the game - always have, always will. 

Today was a stressful day for me - am waiting for a big test result.  Called the office once and it wasn't "ready" yet.  What does that mean exactly?  Either the results are there or they are not.  How do they make themselves ready?  Arrrgh!  So the day ends, a weekend begins, and I'm still in limbo.  And I'd be a total wreck too, if it wasn't for baseball. 

Ever since I started this nightmare over 9 years ago, my son has been playing travel, and now High School, baseball.  And even on my worst days, when I am sitting on a ball field, I forget the pain, I push away thoughts of any tests or procedures, and just bask in the aura of the hits, runs, strikes, and double-plays.  I think that, in this roller-coaster-ride of a world in which we live, we all need our "baseball field" - the place where we can go and forget all of life's worries.  God has been very good to me.  He gave my son a talent and me, a love of the game.  (My other passion, by the way, is music, especially musical theater, and yes, my other son sings like an angel and will be performing in less than 2 months.  But that's another story for another post).  As I said, in the midst of all the turmoil, God is there - in the big things and the small.

Diet-wise, today was interesting.  I had my steel cut oats for breakfast (am convinced that's why my cholesterol is perfect even though high cholesterol runs in my family), had leftover veggie curry for lunch, and, well, had to grab something quick after a 6:00 game and before picking up the boys from the school.  So, a trip to Fast Food Central and 2 Fresco Burritos later.... Could have been worse!   BTW, the boys won their first season game 12 - 2.  And it was a gorgeous night for baseball.

Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment