Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bye Bye Meat!

Today is what we Orthodox Christians call Meatfare Sunday.  It marks the beginning of a 54-day Lenten journey and is the last day we eat meat before Easter (April 24th). 

For me, it will be one of the last days I eat meat - period.  I have health issues that have plagued me since completing a grueling chemotherapy regimen almost 9 years ago.  And, even though I have made many dietary changes since then, I have always believed that giving up meat would be another step in the right direction. Especially since the hardest hits my system took were both cardiac and digestive.  Note that I said it would be "one" of the last days I eat meat.  With all foods, I have learned to never say never, well except for beef  - haven't knowingly touched it in 9 years (I have real issues with beef). 

In spite of my aversion to beef, though, I am a carnivore, so this'll be a challenge.  I enjoy turkey;  boneless, skinless chicken; an occasional pork tenderloin; and lamb.    If, after Lent is over, I slip down the road,  I will just get right back on track again the next day.  You can, too - with whatever it is that keeps you from eating what you know you should be eating  -  each and every day of your life.  Hang in there!  Temptations will always be there, but overcoming them makes you stronger.  I should know.  I have battled many of them over the years.  You're not alone...

Well that's it for today - the flu is still lingering - big time - and I need to rest.   Hope you all stay well!
Happy and healthy eating and happy Meatfare Sunday to all my Orthodox Christian friends out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment