Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Good Fish, Bad Fish

When I was little, I hated fish.  Unless it was deep-fried, or white albacore tuna from a can mixed with plenty of mayonnaise, I avoided it like the plague.  As I grew older, though, and my diet changed, my tastes changed as well.  And I began to expand my horizons to include salmon with marmalade glaze, halibut with peach salsa, swordfish with plum sauce, pan-seared tuna, and cod and orange roughy just about any way it could be prepared.  When I began studying nutrition, I was thrilled to discover that not only was fish tasty, but generally very good for us, as well.  After all, fish is the best source of Omega-3 fatty acids, a great addition to a cancer prevention diet, as well as, believe it or not, in helping to reduce the pain and swelling of rheumatoid arthritis.  But, all too soon, I discovered that fish, like too many other foods I had come to enjoy, had a dark side to it - "mercury". 

While reading a copy of my coveted "Eating Well" magazine (the Spring 2004 edition), I discovered with dismay that many of my favorite fish were some of the most mercury-laden varieties.  I read various other articles that served to confirm these facts.  And through the years, the news remains pretty much the same.  So, if you enjoy fish and think that all types are created equal, like I once did, here's a listing, beginning with the ones to avoid and ending with those that are safe to eat as frequently as you'd like:

The following fish contain high levels of mercury and should be avoided:

1.)  King Mackerel
2.)  Shark
3.)  Swordfish (pout...)
4.)  Bluefin Tuna
5.)  Tilefish
6.)  Farmed Salmon (actually contains PCB's and are given high levels of antibiotics)

Yes, in general, the larger the fish, the more mercury it contains.  Why?  Because big fish eat medium fish which eat smaller fish, etc, etc. etc,  And most fish contain at least trace amounts of mercury, so as fish eat fish, the added mercury becomes cumulative.

These fish are deemed safe to eat about once a month:

1.)  Halibut (pout...)
2.)  Bluefish
3.)  Pollock
4.)  Maine Lobster
5.)  Wild Sea Bass
6.)  Tuna steaks (double pout...)
7.)  Grouper
8.)  Marlin
9.)  Orange Roughy (no....)
10.) Red Snapper

The fish that are safe to eat once a week are:

1.)  Crab
2.)  Herring
3.)  Mahi-Mahi
4.)  Atlantic Cod
5.)  Canned White Tuna, unless it is pole or troll caught (see below)

And fish that contain trace amounts of, or no mercury, and are deemed safe to eat every day are:

1.)  Anchovies                      11.)  Squid
2.)  Catfish                           12.)  Striped Bass
3.)  Clams                            13.)  Tilapia
4.)  Flounder                        14.)  Trout
5.)  Mackerel (except King Mackerel)
6.)  Mussels and Oysters     
7.)  Wild Salmon                  15.)  Canned Light Tuna
8.)  Sardines                         16.)  Yellow fin, farmed Tuna
9.)  Shrimp                           17.)  Scallops
10.) Sole                              18.)  Albacore tuna, esp. pole or troll caught

If you are served, or just must have, one of the fish that should be avoided, keep in mind that mercury, PCB's and other contaminants concentrate primarily in the fat of the fish.  If you remove the skin and any visible fat and dark flesh from it before cooking it, it will help to reduce (but not completely eliminate) the contaminants from your fish.

When Lent begins, I will post recipes for some of  my favorite fish recipes, since I will be serving it about twice a week.   

I know that fish is still not a favorite food for many of you out there, but do give it a try.  As you can see from the above lists, there are many varieties that are safe to eat as often as you like.  And, please, if you have any favorite fish recipes,  share them with us!  

Until next time, as always, happy and healthy eating!


(Other Source:  "Eating Well" magazine, April, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment