Friday, February 18, 2011

Breast Cancer - Don't Become A Statistic...

There are those who believe that since most young women who have abortions have them between the 8th and 11th weeks of pregnancy, they should be given an ultrasound to show them what they are "aborting".  The idea being that if they could see the little arms and legs and that tiny, little heatbeat, they would be less likely to choose that option.  I tell you, it makes more sense than protesting in front of, or bombing, abortion clinics.  Well, that same philosophy might hold true when it comes to convincing those who refuse to that they should change their eating habits. 

I spent the better part of my day yesterday at Johns' Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center and have decided that with a low-fat, high fiber diet, since I have had cancer twice, I am still not doing enough for myself (and, by extension, my family) diet-wise.  I've made some positive changes, but know I can still do better.  Yes, spending a day at one of the world's foremost cancer centers can be very sobering.

 Besides sitting across from a woman who sobbed as she spoke to her husband about the lack of treatment options left for her, the halls were dotted with wheel-chair-bound (predominantly) women, one who had four IV bags attached to and hanging above her!  I couldn't even imagine why anyone would need four IV bags - at once!  I subconsciously found myself stroking my hair protectively as I saw women who had completely lost theirs.   I remembered how it felt to look in the mirror in the morning and see one stubborn strand clinging to an otherwise bald head.  I recognized the almost grey skin coloring that one attains after having received several rounds of chemotherapy, watched as once-vibrant women and men dragged their feet with the last remnants of strength they could muster, and I felt tears well up in my eyes.

I looked around at the bustling activity and reminded myself that 1 out of 8 women will get breast cancer in their lifetime.   Based on the latest statistics, that's what the experts say.  And that is just wrong!  We shouldn't allow it, accept it, or resign ourselves to that fate.  It's a good thing to donate to the various cancer funds out there, but it would be a better thing if we could actually prevent those 340,000+ cases of cancer in this country each year that the World Cancer Research Fund says are a result of poor eating habits and lack of exercise.  Breast, colon, and prostate cancers are among those that are most affected by poor nutrition and are probably among the 3 most common forms of cancer in this country.  Take a good look at your diet.  Are you getting the antioxidants you should be getting?  Have you cut down on fats?  Increased your fiber intake? Started checking out organic apples, peppers, strawberries and grapes?  Cut out artificial additives, colors, and other synthetic chemicals?  And are you at least walking 30 minutes or more a day, 5 days a week?  If you haven't already done so, do you plan to start implementing one or some of these changes in your diet?

1 out of 8.....Well, out of total population of about 307,212,000 people, if half are women, that would be about  153,606,000 women.  1 out of 8 would be 19,200,750.  That's 19 million, 200 thousand 750 women in the United States alone who, all things remaining constant, will statistically contract breast cancer in their life time.   (If the same statistics apply to the worldwide population, that number would be 428, 276,375!!  That's more women in the world getting breast cancer than the total population of the United States!).   Overwhelming?  I'm Sorry.  I like numbers.  In a previous life, I used to be a CPA. 

If you are still a junk-food junkie, need to lose weight but refuse to count calories, think low-fat food is yucky, high-fiber food abrasive, organics too expensive (even if you only buy the foods that really need to be organic), think you only have time to eat processed foods, and have no desire to make a change - after all, you're pretty healthy now - go visit your closest Cancer Clinic and just hang around the lobby and admissions office.  For me, that meant a 1 and 1/2 hour drive, and it was worth it.  I went to meet a friend who was seeing a doctor there, but will go back if I ever decide that I'm tired of counting calories and fat each day (I have done so for 9 years).

Writing that last paragraph, I realize that I have not yet talked about the importance of keeping a food diary.  Stay tuned - it's very important and will be coming up soon.  In the meantime, happy and healthy eating!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful passage. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Thanks so much for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete