Monday, February 21, 2011

Be Prepared (More Than A Boy Scout Motto)

When it comes to dietary matters, I generally don't believe in absolutes.  Except in two instances: 1.) Never do your weekly grocery shopping without a list, and 2.)  Always lay out everything you need for a recipe before beginning to prepare it.

My husband teases me because I title every shopping list I prepare "List".  And I always use a sheet from one of those 3-1/2" by 9" lined note pads that stick to your refrigerator.   Before anything goes on my "list", I have made a weekly dinner menu and have all recipes laid out before me.  I divide my list into quarters, in the order in which I shop.  Produce goes on top, followed by non-perishables (including paper goods and cleaning products), then dairy (including soy milk), and finally meats (or fish) and frozen goods.  As I said, I have made a weekly "dinner menu" before preparing my list.  As for breakfast, I make sure I have a container of oats at home, as well as a variety of dried fruit, and a box of  high fiber cereal like Go Lean Crunch along with a carton of plain soy milk.  Lunches vary and may be black bean burritos in whole wheat tortillas, Greek yogurt with fruit, or white bean tuna salad on Romaine lettuce.  And then I have to make sure I remember the items I need for my boys' lunches and breakfasts....But you get the picture.

Before preparing supper, I lay out all items I will need (see the photo above from tonight's dinner).  I wash and chop all vegetables, covering some with plastic wrap to keep them fresh until I will need them.  I then pull out all the spices, measuring spoons and cups, and everything else I need before I start cooking.  I pretend I am Julia Child, Rachel Ray, or The Barefoot Contessa and really enjoy preparing 2 to 3 courses at a time with everything I need at my beck and call.

Some of you may be reading this and saying, "Big duh!  Who doesn't do this?!"  And if that's you, then I applaud you.  But from my experience of working as a Nutritionist, I know that there are many of you out there who do not prepare your shopping lists off of a weekly menu - who write a couple of random items on a sheet of paper and buy the rest as you go - deciding while you shop, and being hungry on top of it, what you will eat that week, and putting anything that "looks good" into your shopping cart.   And then you wonder why you are not eating right.  Working off of a menu helps you to vary your diet and to eat healthier.  Plan for a healthy week of eating and, with few exceptions, buy only what is on your list. 

Hope this is helpful - at least for some of you... : )

Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment