Friday, February 11, 2011

Cancer Prevention And Diet - Beyond Antioxidants

In my post titled "In Memorium",  I recalled the tragic consequences of growing up in a carcinogenic "hot spot".  Every family I knew in the neighborhood I grew up in had either battled with or lost someone to cancer.  Now I look around me and wonder if there are any places left in this country where we can get away from carcinogens.  Is there any pure water any more?  And just how "processed" is the food we eat?   My "list' of people I pray for with cancer keeps getting longer and longer.  Today - just today - I found out that a man we used to go to church with died from pancreatic cancer.  A very dear friend told me that her sister's cancer is resistant to all chemo drugs.  And another friend's brother-in-law has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. 

A few months ago I read a book called "The No Impact Man".  It was about a man who made sure that for one year he and his family would live in such a way that the decisions they made would have no environmental impact.  I thought he was extreme - I mean, he didn't use toilet paper or take out his trash - but he was definitely on the right track.  In fact, he inspired me to join a CSA (Community Supported Farm - or "Agrigulture"), something I will begin participating in this June.  And, when we start, whatever fruits and vegetables we get each week will be what our meals will be based on.   In other words, we will eat the way we were meant to eat - we will eat what is in season and it will be free of pesticides, preservatives, herbacides, and waxes.  But I digress...

I will cover "organics" for you in my next post.  For now, I will share with you 5 things you can do to be proactive in preventing cancer from hitting you or your loved ones.  Like I said, in this life we have no guarantees, but I believe in giving ourselves a fighting chance!  So here goes:

1.)  Eat more plant-based foods.  They have less fat and more fiber, as well as containing cancer-fighting nutrients.  Together, these 3 elements support your immune system, as well as battling carcinogens.  When you fill your plate for lunch and dinner, make sure at least 2/3 of it contains vegetables, whole grains, and fruit.  The other 1/3 can be lean meat, fish, or dairy (preferably low-fat or fat free).  Eat as many foods as you can that are in their natural form.  Limit processed foods and buy organic, when necessary.

2.)  Make sure you get enough fiber in your diet.  Fiber keeps food moving though your digestive tract.  It also moves potential cancer-causing compunds out before they can harm you. 

3.)  Avoid "bad" fats, like trans fats that were made in a laboratory and are added to oils to make them harder and last longer.  Limit saturated fats - found in animal products.  And avoid Omega-6 fats, such as safflower, corn, and peanut oils, and margarines.  Instead, use Olive oil, Canola oil (when olive oil would not be practical), consume fat-free dairy (or very low fat dairy in things such as cheese), and eat fish.

4.)  If you eat meat, cut down on or eliminate red meat, choosing preferably organic lean meats such as boneless, skinless chicken, and turkey instead.  And don't forget that beans are an excellent source of protein and fiber, as well.  Tofu, Seitan, and Tempeh are also excellent sources of non-meat-based protein. 

5.)  Exercise regularly - even if it is a 30-minute walk 5 days a week.

Take charge of your life, your health, and that of your family.  When my tap water was so poluted that it left a smelly, slimy brown residue in my sink, I trusted that if it was really that bad for me, the local government would do something about it.  Surely there were checks, balances, controls....I was 19 years old and very naive.  All the government cares about is keeping big businesses happy.  And don't believe for one minute that if it's on your store's shelves, then it must be healthy.  You really need to know what to buy these days.

In future blog posts, I will cover organics (as I promised above), what fish you should be eating and which ones should be avoided, fiber, and GMO's (or as I like to call it - Frankenfood).  Understanding all these topics (or concepts) will help you in making the right choices for your family. 

Until next time, happy and health eating. 

2 comments: