Sunday, February 13, 2011

GMO's or "When is a Worm Not a Worm?" Answer: "When It's a Grape"...

In my last post, I posed the question, "Should we all buy only locally grown produce or join a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)?  And, even though it wasn't what I originally intended to say, I felt myself type P-R-O-B-A-B-L-Y.   I looked at the word and considered hitting the backspace button, but my conscience wouldn't let me.   Eating naturally-produced fruit and vegetables, when they are in season, and are grown by local farmers is how it was meant to be. 

In much of the country, if we ate what we should be eating, it would be Kale, Collard Greens, Beets, Strawberries, and Asparagus in May and June; Tomatoes, Corn, Summer Squash, Peas, Bell Peppers, and all kinds of luscious fruit in the later summer months; and Squash, Pumpkin, Potatoes, and Apples in the fall.  What do we do In the winter?  We all starve!  Not really...  But my husband asked me that question and the answer is that, if canning or freezing is not your thing, we should transport produce from Florida, California, and other parts of the Western United States to the rest of the nation, keeping the rich farmland in our country productive and the farmers themselves in business.     

What we have done instead, however, to make sure that we have all the produce we want all through the year, while keeping the prices low, low, low, has been to develop 2 unfortunate trends:  1.)  importing produce from places like Chile, El Salvador, and Mexico who do not have the same regulations we do, and 2.) creating genetically modified foods (GMO's) or "Frankenfoods" as some like to call them.

GMO's scare me because, unlike when we introduce a new drug, no testing has been done on these genetically-altered products before putting them on the market.  To create a genetically modified food, a plant (or animal's) genes are crossed with another often non-related species or organism to create either a hardier variety (makes it easier to ship them to faraway places without having them spoil), a more resistant variety (are not as prone to bacterial disease or weed infestation), or a faster growing variety (feed more people for the same price).  

Sounds good, doesn't  it?  Well, not if you are severely allergic to fish and your tomatoes have been crossed with fish genes to make them last longer.  Or if you are vegan and your grapes have been given worm genes to help them fight off bacterial disease that is indigenous to grapes. And you are sure to love "Round-up Ready" Canola, Soy, and Corn, by Monsanto.  (It's just what you think it is....)

I know, I have some 'splainin' to do.....Tune in tomorrow for more on "GMO's and you".   In the meantime, happy and healthy eating!

2 comments:

  1. I thought they DID have to test these GMO things before being used for human consumption?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. Their rationale for being above the radar screen for testing is that they are simply combining known "safe" elements with other known "safe" elements. The main issue is allergies, but there are others, for example the ethical problem of inadvertently feeding a Vegan worms. The "Round-up Ready" produce that I will discuss later has me especially concerned. Great question, Pugger! Once again, I thank you for your input.

    ReplyDelete