Sunday, January 23, 2011

How Many Calories Should You Eat Each Day? - (You MUST read this one!)

That has been the big question I've been getting lately.  And it's a great question.  After all, it is calories that matter when it comes to losing (and gaining) weight.  If you drop 500 calories a day from your diet, you should lose a pound a week.  If you add 500, you should gain a pound a week.  My goal is to make sure we are making the most of the calories we eat each day, but we all need a benchmark, so here goes: To maintain your current weight, here's how many calories you should be consuming each day:

Women, Ages 19 and older:
Age               Sedentary             Moderately Active        Active
19-25              2,000                       2,200                     2,400     
26-30              1,800                       2,000                     2,400
31-50              1,800                       2,000                     2,200
51-60              1,600                       1,800                     2,200
61+                 1,600                       1,800                     2,000

Men, Ages 19 and older:
Age               Sedentary            Moderately Active        Active
19-20             2,600                       2,800                     3,000
21-35             2,400                       2,800                     3,000
36-40             2,400                       2,600                     2,800
41-55             2,200                       2,600                     2,800
56-60             2,200                       2,400                     2,600
61+                2,000                       2,400                     2,600

 (Calorie charts and information (below) on activity levels are from The New Food Pyramids)

By looking at the above charts, you have probably come to the same conclusion that I have:  life is unfair if you're a woman, especially if you are a woman over the age of 26.  Men get to eat so much more than we do before it begins to affect their weight.  So, if some of you women out there match your husband bite-for-bite at each meal and wonder why you are gaining weight and he's not, well, the answer is that "he" can, and is supposed to, eat more than you do.

And you are just going to love this next part.  The definition of "sedentary" is "less than 30 minutes a day of moderate physical activity in addition to daily activities".  To be "Moderately active", you have to engage in "at least 30 minutes and up to 60 minutes a day of moderate physical activity in addition to daily activities".  And "active" means "60 minutes or more a day of moderate physical activity in addition to daily activities." 
I have to be honest with you, before I sprained and tore up my ankle, I can say that I was moderately active. I took 45 - 60 minute "fast-walks" through the trails in my neighborhood each day.  Since then, I have begun walking again but have to admit that, by definition, I am sedentary.  And I've noticed that if I eat more than 1,800 calories per day for 2 or more days running, I gain weight!

So, if you are not happy with your weight, I challenge you to honestly record the calories for everything you eat each day and, after a week, see how you measure up.   Don't forget to also be honest about your activity level.  When you're done, please feel free to share your results with me - I can help you get back on track.  That's what I'm here for....Until next time, happy and "healthy" eating!
P.S. If you are under 19 and want to know how you measure up, just tell me your sex, age, and how active you are, and I'll provide that information for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment