Sunday, January 16, 2011

Calcium Demystified

You've probably heard that we need calcium in our diets - and a lot of it (at least 1,000 mgs. per day).  But do you know why?   I think of my poor mother who was once 5' 10", but is now about 5' 7" and has the beginnings of an unsightly hump on her back and realize that, sadly, that could have been avoided.  We need calcium in our diets to stave off osteoporosis and other bone-related diseases.  Especially (but definitely not only) if we are women and are over (gulp) the age of 40.  But milk, one of our best dietary sources of this vital mineral, is getting a bad rap these days.  What to do, what to do?

If you're like me and keep dairy in your diet, here are the best "calcium bombs":  First and foremost, plain Greek yogurt.  A 6-ounce serving of that lusciously-textured food of the gods provides up to 40% of your daily requirement of calcium.  Sprinkle some walnuts and a bit of honey on top and you have a healthy and satisfying dessert.  Add a glass of skim milk and some cheese to your day and you're just about there.  (Note that when it comes to dairy, the fat free (milk, yogurt, and cottage cheese) and low fat (most other cheeses) varieties are much better for you. 

With that said, not everyone can tolerate milk and some people avoid dairy because of lifestyle choices, such as a vegan diet.  For you, and for all the rest of us who realistically are still not getting what we need from our diet, we need to take a daily supplement.  Unfortunately, not all supplements are created equal.  You are better off drinking a glass of calcium-fortified orange juice than you are taking one of the standard "hard" oyster shell or other such calcium tablets. 

Do an experiment and please share your results with me.  Place your current calcium tablet in a cup with just enough water to cover it.  Wait half an hour (stirring ocassionally) and see what is left in your glass.  If the "pill" has not dissolved by then, it won't do so in your tummy either.  As a rule, most calcium "tablets" pass through us pretty much unabsorbed.  The chewable varietes absorb better but are way too sweet. Your best bet are the liquid filled calcium tablets.  They usually provide 600 mgs. each.  I take one of them a day and make sure that I also either eat a plain, Greek yogurt or have a glass of skim milk or some cheese.

Wow!  Sorry about the length of the post, folks!  These last couple of topics are pretty close to my heart and there is no way to keep them brief and give you all the information you need to know.  
If you have any questions, that's what I'm here for.  Please do not hesitate to ask.  In the meantime, happy eating!

5 comments:

  1. Do you make your own yogurt or buy it from the store (like Fage)? Curious. I have an uncle who make it himself. I haven't tried his though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could make my own! No, I buy mine - usually Fage, Chobani, or Oikos. Although, believe it or not, there are some less expensive brands that have recently hit the shelves and are not bad at all (like Giant brand, which is 99 cents vs. $1.49 or $1.69!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I spy a tiny Leftovers sitting on the edge of the plate? The photo is so small, it's hard to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This site is great! Thanks so much Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're going to need a magnifying glass to see the teenie Beanie I placed on that picture. But you're right, Anam, it is on the edge of the plate and is the kangaroo Beanie. I'll try to make sure the next one shows up a bit larger. Thanks for checking out my site!

    ReplyDelete