Monday, January 17, 2011

Cheers!

I'm not a big fan of beer and am a real light-weight when it comes to the hard stuff.  But I really enjoy an occasional glass of red wine.  I was raised on it.  When I was, maybe 3 years old, I had it mixed with water at the dinner table.  Hey, I'm Greek and wine is in my blood.  Now I prefer a good Pinot Noir, Malbec, or a light Cabernet.  Imagine my joy when I discovered that red wine contains heart-healthy anti-oxidants - polyphenols that actually reduce the impact of high-fat foods on our cardio-vascular system.   And then all the hype about "resveratrol".  This amazing enzyme (I believe that is what it technically is)  claims to reverse the aging process.  How it does that has something to do with its ability to mimic the effect of calorie restriction.  This is a topic for another day, but there are studies out there that demonstrate that those who restrict the number of calories they eat each day to something like 1,500 or less have been shown to live longer. 
Of course, wine is good for you only if you drink it in moderation (translation:  about a 5-ounce glass a day).  Much more than that and you face the law of diminishing returns.  Until we meet again, I lift my glass to you - my Blog family and friends... 

1 comment: