Friday, January 28, 2011

Calling All You Chocoholics Out There!

There's an expression I use to describe something truly beautiful and wonderful.  I say that God was in a good mood when He made it.  I use that phrase to describe my husband, my two sons, and chocolate.  : )  Even on my low-fat, "eating to live" diet, I have found ways to incorporate it into my life.  Besides my chocolate pudding cake, I make chocolate souffles, banana breads, bread puddings, cupcakes (all low fat), and indulge in the occasional ounce of dark chocolate with a glass of Pinot Noir.   I even love chocolate wine (oh yeah - it's out there if you look hard enough!) and once tried a chocolate beer that I found to be amazing.  Unfortunately, not many people agreed with me on that one and it was pulled from the shelves of the only store in which I could find it.   Sigh...

Yes, chocolate is delightful, but the really delightful thing about it is that it is also good for you.  It contains flavanol antioxidants and may contribute to improved cardiovascular health by helping to lower blood pressure and cholesterol, in particular dark chocolate and cocoa (the hot beverage).  Because chocolate comes from the cacao tree, it is full of natural plant nutrients, not unlike those found in fruits, nuts, and grains.  (See allchocolate.com).  In fact, dark chocolate contains 8 times the number of antioxidants found in strawberries.  Antioxidants protect the body from aging caused by free radicals, which can cause damage that leads to heart disease.  [from about.com (longevity)]  It's still a high-calorie, high fat food, though, so you need to eat it in moderation.  According to the April 2008 issue of Vegetarian Times, a "dose" of chocolate is an ounce of the dark variety, or a cup of hot cocoa. 

So, in sticking with my belief that a diet should never mean deprivation of the foods you enjoy, the next time you find yourself "sneaking" that bite of chocolate, you can smile and feel good about the fact that you are actually doing something good for yourself...

If reading this Blog has given you a craving for something chocolatey, here's a real easy one:  melt some semi-sweet chocolate morsels in a microwave safe bowl, stir until creamy, and dip some banana slices in it...Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment