Monday, May 9, 2011

Does Some Produce Leave You Feeling Queasy?

I have been keeping detailed food diaries for almost 10 years now.  Why?  Well, besides the fact that they help me to maintain my weight, I often react to foods I eat and the diaries help me figure out what the culprits are. 

My husband and I are what I call "Frick and Frack".  He can eat anything - year-old meat, unwashed fruit, raw eggs, it doesn't matter what it is, he does not get sick.  As for me,  for a long time, if meat was not absolutely fresh, I would spend the night worshipping the proverbial porcelain god.  But even now, as someone who is attempting to be vegetarian, I am frustrated with the reactions I am getting from some of the plant-based foods out there.  If there are any pesticide or other residues on my fruits and vegetables that have not been entirely removed, I get anything from a mild tummy ache, to the jitters or a headache, to extreme stomach upset.  What I have become is a good barometer for whether or not foods are fresh and clean.  If they bother me a lot, in other words, they may be bothering you a little.  I know that my older son seems to suffer at least a little when I react.  So, what foods are the culprits?

Well, as healthy as a nice fresh salad should be, I find that most restaurants either do not use organic produce or simply do not wash their greens very well.  Most restaurant salads leave me wishing I had not eaten them.  When I eat out, I have to eat my vegetables well-cooked or not at all.  I love eating fresh fruit, but grapes that are not washed well, non-organic apples that are unpeeled, and non-organic strawberries in particular can leave me feeling like I have stomach flu.  What concerns me is that it wasn't until American grocery stores started getting most of their fruit and vegetables from other countries that I developed these problems.  Even a year or so after completing chemotherapy, when I was the most vulnerable, I could eat most restaurant salads and fruit cups with no trouble. 

This year, I have joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) and can not wait to see what happens when my family and I eat pretty much what we pick up from our farm each week.  I will make sure that any fruits or vegetables I need to supplement what the farm provides are organic, preferably purchased at our closest Farmer's Market.  The first box arrives late this month.  I can't wait to share with you what treasures we find each week and how I will prepare them.

Do let me know if you have experienced any of the sensitivities I mentioned above.  I am quite curious and am, frankly, concerned about long-term effects that some of what we "allow" on our produce will have on us and our loved ones.  Anyway, until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment