Friday, May 6, 2011

Back in The Saddle Again

Tonight was Senior Night on my son's Varsity baseball team and, except for a few minutes of light rain and high winds, it was a perfect evening.  We honored our 7 graduating seniors by having them come out on the field before the game with their families, letting us know their college plans, etc.  It was a pretty emotional moment.  These are terrific guys and have been incredible role-models for my son and the other underclassmen.  The boys then proceeded to play some good baseball, winning their game 12 to 2 after 5 innings (by the so-called "slaughter rule").  It was a lovely evening and, yes, our boys are back in the proverbial saddle again.  Go Bulldogs!

On the nutrition front, I read a fascinating article in the Wall Street Journal today about cellulose - a product that is added to shredded cheese so it won't stick together and to ice cream to make it creamier, among other things.  It is often made of finely shredded or powdered wood pulp and, as scary as that sounds, it is actually a decent source of fiber (since it is not digested and helps form "bulk" in your intestines).  It even appears in some organic products.  It helps add texture to low-fat and fat-free foods, so I guess I have ingested my share of it though the years and I think I'm o.k. with that, which surprises me somehow.  Food for thought...

Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment