Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

I was one of those frustrating people who did not know until a few years ago what I really wanted to do with my life.  When I first started college it was with the intention of becoming a trial lawyer someday.  I went as far as taking the LSAT and getting letters from several law schools.  But naive notions drove me away from the field and I focused my studies instead on English and French.  I loved studying foreign languages and got a job as an interpreter and tour guide with hopes of working for the State Department.  But then an interest in accounting resulted in my going back to school and getting a Masters in Accountancy and a CPA.  After that, I worked 15 years as an Accountant.  9 years ago, my "hard" bout with cancer caused me to re-evaluate my life.  Subsequently, I developed a passion for nutrition, went back to school again, and am now a Nutritionist.   I love the field, find it exciting and enjoy that it is ever-changing.  But the best and most rewarding job I've ever had is being the mother to my two beautiful boys.  I know that sounds cliche, but it is true.  Motherhood isn't always easy.  In fact, in some ways it is the most difficult, and certainly the most demanding, job I've had.  The job is 24/7 and begins with caring for an entirely helpless and dependent baby who slowly evolves into a unique, and increasingly independent individual.   But I wouldn't trade it for anything and I thank God for the priviledge of having a hand in shaping the lives of two bright, thoughtful, talented, and loving young men. 

My wish for all of you is that you have a happy Mother's Day - whether you are a mother, are honoring your mother, or remembering someone who has been like a mother to you.

And until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment