Sunday, July 3, 2011

What Do I Do With Beets?

Pictured on the left is the latest installment from our farm, namely beets and cabbage.  I really like both of them - a lot! - when other people cook them.  Beets scare me because they stain everything, or so they say.  I do know that some women at our church have used them to die Easter eggs red.  An article I read warned that, when you work with beets, you should wear gloves.  I will , but I have a white porcelain sink.  Will they stain it?  And my light brown and cream-toned counter top?  Help!  I was planning to peel and cut them into 1" squares, place them in a glass bowl with olive oil, thyme, and kosher salt, and then roast them.  Any advice?  When I made my Chocolate Beet Cake in March (which was outstanding by the way - recipe is in a link below), I used jarred (not canned!) beets, so all the "dirty" work had been done for me.

As for the cabbage, I found a nice recipe that utilizes beer and Kielbasa, which I think my "men" will enjoy.  But those beets.....Yikes!   I can just see them ruining my whole kitchen.  Looking forward to hearing from some of you.  Hope you are enjoying your 4th of July weekend.

Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment