Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bor-ing!!

The biggest complaint I hear about eating healthy is that the food is boring.   And I guess that, when I first changed the way I ate, I felt the same way, too.  What I have learned, however, is that when the grease, excess salt, and ooey-gooey cream is removed, you are finally able to discover what foods really taste like.  I can't think of a vegetable that I don't like.  Even Kale, Collard greens, Brussels Sprouts, and Beets can be delicious when they are fresh and are cooked right.  Brown rice has an almost nutty taste and texture.   Salmon is amazing broiled with a variety of glazes and rubs.  Most ethnic cuisines are outstanding when they are lightened up, including Indian, Chinese, Thai, Greek, Italian, Lebanese, and Mexican. 

The photo above is of a family favorite - Spinach Calzone with hot pasta sauce on the side.  Like everything I cook, it is both low in calories and fat, but high in taste and is easy to make.  Use your favorite refrigerated pizza crust, divide it into 4 squares, and fill each one with thawed frozen spinach, mixed with sauteed onions and low-fat feta cheese, and bake until golden brown.  If you have been following this Blog, you will notice that I do not deprive myself of dessert.  On special occasions, I'll make a favorite banana bread, chocolate cake, lemon crumb cake, bread pudding, souffle, angel food cake, or panna cotta - all of them low in fat and calories.  I used to get frustrated ordering out, but now have learned to navigate just about any menu, ending up with what I know are "the best" items on the menu. 

Healthy eating - done right - should not be boring.  In fact, I look forward to each issue of Cooking Light, Healthy Cooking, Eating Well, and Vegetarian Times, knowing that they will provide me and my family with new taste sensations covering a wide variety of ingredients and cuisines.  I highly recommend that you buy a copy of these magazines, try some of the recipes, and then subscribe to the one or ones you like the best.   You will not be disappointed.

Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment