Friday, July 15, 2011

A Confession

Diets don't work.  Not the Atkins diet, Jenny Craig, or even Weight Watchers.  Unless you change the way you eat and ENJOY IT, any weight you lose while on "a structured diet" will come right back once the structure is removed and you return to your old eating habits.   It's inevitable.  

For me, taking inventory of everything I ate - counting every calorie (and realizing my daily input was well over 3,000) and counting fat grams (discovering that almost 50% of my calories were from fat) opened my eyes to where I needed to make changes.  I needed to cut calories - dramatically - and eat more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains; and omit deep fried foods (a recognized addiction for me) altogether.  I love the meals I cook from my favorite cooking magazines and do not feel deprived in any way.  In fact, I cringe when I remember all the grease I used to dump into my body.  But I do allow myself one naughty pleasure: Starbucks....

Anyone who has been to Starbucks with me for breakfast knows that I order the same thing every time I go - a grande non-fat chai tea latte, and, depending on the season, either a pumpkin scone or a slice of the very berry or cinnamon reduced-fat coffee cake.  When I know I am going to have a particularly low-fat lunch and dinner, I might even order a cinnamon scone.  Yes, I am aware of the fat content of Starbucks' scones and "reduced-fat" coffee cakes, but I do not believe in deprivation and, frankly, they are yummy!    They are not deep fried, so I am not succumbing to my old addiction.  But they are a nice treat to have on occasion and, especially after reaching and maintaining our goal, we all deserve a nice treat now and then.

There....It's out.  Now you know my dirty, little secret.   Why, you may ask, am I confessing it to you?  Well, it's because I realize that it's precisely because I allow myself my chai and scones every now and then that I have been able to keep the weight I lost off.    My forays into Starbucks keep me from getting into a rut and/or being frustrated.  I hope something in my confession resonates with you - I felt I had to get it out there.  Until next time, "happy" and healthy eating....  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment