Monday, July 25, 2011

Don't Let Summer Go By Without Trying These!

It's been a while since I've been able to write you all.  Summers seem to be busier than the school year these days!  I hope you all have been enjoying this season of sunshine and fresh fruit.  Speaking of fruit (how's that for a lead-in?), pictured on the left are what my youngest son said is "the best fruit he has ever had".  They are Virginia's crop of Organic Donut Peaches.  And last week our box from the farm was full of them!  Up until this past week, the fruit from our farm has left something to be desired.  The strawberries were small and almost mushy, the apples were Granny Smith's, thus tart and not for snacking, the blueberries were unimpressive, and the cherries...Well, we all got a good laugh out of the cherries.  2 weeks ago, we received a bag of conventional peaches and they were not bad, although they yielded a better pie than they did a snack food.  So when I saw about 20 of these little guys in our box last week, my first thought was, "O.K.  Another peach pie".   And then I ate one.   Oh my!   Not since California have I had fruit so sweet and juicy.  And, as I said before, my younger son just can't stop eating them. 

One thing I love about summer is the fruit it yields.  If it is a good season, there is an endless variety of Organic berries, peaches, nectarines, plums, apricots, and watermelon.  In the summer, who needs to snack on processed foods?  It's the perfect time to jump-start a healthy diet. 

I have to mention that all of the vegetables we have received from our farm have been outstanding.  From the Kale and Swiss Chard to the Summer Squash, Beans, Beets, and Corn, it has all been a delightful addition to our weekly menu.  Will I join a CSA next year?  So far, it is looking like a definite "Yes".

I do have to run - obligations beckon!   But I had to let you all know about those Donut Peaches.  If you get a chance to try some, I hope they are as good as ours have been.  For those of you who live Abroad, I recall Europe having the most delicious fruit this time of year.  Enjoy!!

Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

1 comment:

  1. We just got these peaches at Trader Joe's--labeled Saturn peaches--and they are indeed excellent!

    ReplyDelete