Monday, July 18, 2011

Luscious Summer Fruit Pie

I promised a friend of mine that I would give her the recipe for my summer fruit pies.  Today I made one with fresh peaches from our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture or "Farm")and it was wonderful.  It made me remember my promise and I decided to share this very easy recipe with you all. 

Peach, Blueberry, Blackberry, or Strawberry Pie

Prepared low-fat graham cracker crust (I use Keebler or Wholly Wholesome brand, which is found at Whole Foods Market or the Organic sections of some supermarkets)
1 quart blueberries, OR strawberries, OR blackberries, OR 6 large peaches (I used 10 small ones today)
1 cup sugar (3/4 cup if you use peaches or sweet berries)
3 Tablespoons cornstarch (4 if you use peaches)
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon margarine
Wash and sort berries.  If you use peaches, wash and slice them into 8 slices each.  Measure about 1 and 1/2 cups of berries or 1/2 of the peaches into a saucepan and mash them slightly.  Add cornstarch, salt, and water.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.  Add margarine.  Cool slightly.  Pour the uncooked berries into the pie shell (or line the bottom of it evenly with peach slices).  Then spread the cooked fruit on top.  Refrigerate 3-4 hours before serving.  Serves 6-8

This is a delicious way to get a serving or two of fruit.  And it is surprisingly easy to make.  When we go to the beach each summer with our good friends, I buy lots of fruit from a local fruit stand and make a couple of these pies each day.  They are something we all look forward to.  I hope you enjoy them!

Until next time, happy and healthy eating! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, you don't even have to bake this! Even better. :) Thanks!! IL

    ReplyDelete