Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Visit From The Wisest Man I Know

I have my Dad visiting us from California this week.  He's here for my son's graduation.  I won't tell you his age, but suffice it to say that Calvin Coolidge was President of the United States when he was born.  My Dad is one of the sharpest, kindest, and wisest men I know.  But he is also (knock on wood!) one of the healthiest.  What is his secret?  For one thing, he is extremely active.  He runs a restaurant and works 10 to 12 hours a day, 5 days a week.  While on "vacation" here, he has come shopping with me, gone hiking on the trails around our neighborhood, and helps me cook dinner. 

Today he and my youngest son (pictured above) came with me to the "Farm" to pick up this week's box of produce.  That's it in my son's hands.  If you look closely you will see that it is primarily full of greens - Swiss chard, lettuce, and a few cherries and some peas in their pods.  We cooked the Swiss chard with some lite bacon, thinly sliced sweet onions, and golden raisins, and it was very good.  My husband and my Dad had seconds!  We served it as a side dish, of course, with a glazed boneless ham, mashed potatoes, and a Greek salad.  See photo below:

The Swiss chard is in the skillet on the right.  Now, I asked my Dad about his diet and he told me that, like me, he eats no beef.  He drinks very little alcohol - only wine and only with a meal.  He eats lots of fruits and vegetables (very easy to do when you live in California and have your own garden), and does not ever eat to excess.  The Monks on Mount Athos have nothing on my Dad, who goes easy on any processed foods and enjoys just about any type of fish.  Like my 100-year old friend who I wrote about a couple of months ago, my Dad also said that he never worries or lets himself get stressed-out.  It isn't worth it and accomplishes nothing.  Oh, how I wish I could be like him in that respect! 

Growing up, I remember that my Dad was never wrong.  I mean it.  If he had an opinion on something, it was difficult to argue with him.  He was always so calm and collected, and just made sense.  If he made a prediction, 99% of the time, it came true.  And I find that, after all these years, he has not changed at all in that respect.  There is still much to learn from him.  We have a very long and busy weekend ahead of us and I plan to soak in as much of his wisdom as I can.  Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment