Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Great Time, and Catering Made it "Almost" Effortless!

Ever since we moved into our home two and a half years ago, I have been meaning to have my husband's high school buddies and their wives over.  Through the years, we have formed quite a bond with this group.  The once-State- Championship football players are more like brothers than friends.  Well, my husband had a milestone birthday this year right around the time that my oldest son is about to graduate from high school.  I decided to have one big party for both of my guys and made it easy by buying ready-made appetizers from Trader Joe's and Wegmans and having the dinner catered. 

Appetizers consisted of an outstanding smoked salmon from Trader Joe's served with TLC original whole grain crackers; 6 packages of Trader Joe's Spanakopita (72 total pieces); Trader Joe's Artichoke and Asiago Dip; Wegman's Cranberry Cinnamon Goat Cheese served  with low-fat Wheat Thins; and Cinnamon Almonds that we bought at last week's wine festival.  All of these items were met with rave reviews and I would definitely serve them again.

Dinner was a combination of Greek and Italian food.  The Greek food was from Amphora's restaurant and was what they call their Grecian Grill - a combination of gyro meat, chicken souvlakia, and falafels all kept warm with bunson burners in metal holders (see photo above).   Amphora also provided dozens of pita breads to place the meat or falafels on, tzaziki sauce, bowls of shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, feta cheese, and hummus (for the falafels).  The Italian part of the meal was provided by Ciro's Pizzeria and was a large tray of Penne Pasta with meat sauce.  To top it off, my husband picked up restaurant-quality stuffed grape leaves from a favorite little Greek restaurant in D.C. We fed 40 people and had plenty of food left over.  And it was all very good! 

Dessert was a combination birthday/graduation cake with ice cream, and some Turkish Delight from the same D.C. restaurant.  Below are some of the soon-to-be-graduates flanking the cake.
Honestly, even though it was one of the largest groups of people I have fed in my home in years, it was the easiest get-together I have ever hosted.  Yes, there was a lot of shopping to do for plates, cups, napkins, decorations, beverages, all the appetizers, and such.  Plus, I had to round up enough tables for all the guests, with the younger group congregating in our finished basement and the adults combining tables in our Dining/Living room.  But it was nothing compared to how I used to entertain in "the old days" when I gave parties for dozens of people, having spent hours making quiches, a large meat, a Greek dish or two, and miscellaneous side dishes.  In those days, I used to start the evening with home-made Rumaki's, Hot Artichoke Dip, California Tortilla Rolls, and other rather labor-intensive appetizers.  I used to even make my own Tyropites (Phyllo dough triangles filled with Greek cheeses).  Those took a full day to make, after which I would freeze them and then bake them as needed.  Not to mention the themed, often elaborately-decorated cakes and assorted bar cookies!

What can I say?  I am not as young or as healthy as I used to be.  Someday, I would love to host an entirely home-made feast again.  But, for the foreseeable future, I am truly grateful for the likes of Trader Joe's, Wegmans, and ethnic restaurants that deliver food for a crowd!  You can keep the meals healthy, serve meatless options for your vegetarian friends (like the falafels above), and work within pretty much any budget. 

The feasts are far from over, but this was one of my "big ones".  I hope you all had a great weekend and, until next time, happy and healthy eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment