Saturday, June 4, 2011

Prom Provides a Detour From Cooking, And Doing Anything Else Productive...

So last night was my son's Senior Prom.  Above is a clever side-view shot my husband took of "the group" - a group of 13 kids that had 8:15 p.m. dinner reservations and, thus, actually made it to maybe the last hour of a $120-per-couple event.   (What, I ask, happened to dinner being served at the Prom?)  A lot of the group (including my son) went to an after-prom party after their one-hour foray at the Marriott so, after the above photo-shoot, the next time I saw him was late this afternoon.  So, I ask you, why am I exhausted?  And why are the remaining items from this week's share of our farm sitting uneaten in our refrigerator?  Well, I couldn't cook last night because, by the time we finished taking over 125 photos of our beautiful, dressed-to-kill offspring (can't really call them kids or children anymore), it was too late to cook, so we ate out.  And tonight, even though I was not the one who was up all night dancing and partying in evening attire, I am totally and completely wiped-out.  What's up with that?  Is it just me?

In this picture, most of the "kids" have arrived to the hour and a half long photo shoot and you can see that  the girls' gowns would not be out of place on your typical Academy Awards Red Carpet.  And the young men?  Ties, vests, and cummerbunds that match the vivid colors of their dates' gowns add originality to the elegance of their classic black tuxedos.  Somehow, I don't remember our gowns and tuxes being quite so elegant.  It could be because, in my day, our dates tuxes matched our gowns - not their accessories.  Yeeesh!  What were we thinking?  My date's tux, if I recall, was Carolina Blue!   And my dress, like those of most of my friends, had some sort of "sleeves".  If not, we wore shawls until we actually got to the hotel.  Our dates looked like Easter eggs and we were elegant-wannabes.  But I digress...

It's that time of year now at High Schools all over the world.  And moms like me are making sure the tuxes and corsages are ordered, the pictures are taken, and that the endless night ends with everyone home - safe and sound...

2 comments:

  1. love this article, including the pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I enjoyed the time I spent with these outstanding young men and women so much! It was magical...

    ReplyDelete