Monday, September 24, 2012

Lessons Learned

So, why does it take getting to my wits end before I wake up and realize some of life's simplest lessons?  Like the fact that worrying gets you nowhere.  I seem to have made an art out of it.  I used to actually pride myself in the fact that I tend to expect the worst and hope for the best.  Which almost sounds logical - in a sad sort of way.  I hoped my son's arm was simply  strained and that he was still on the road to complete recovery.  But I feared he had re-torn it and would need another operation - with 6 weeks of total immobilization of his right arm, and 6 more months of therapy before he could throw a ball or comfortably write an essay.  The thought of it was making me crazy.  The reality of the situation ended up landing where it usually does - somewhere in between. 

We went to the doctor today and he said that, short of re-operating, there is no way to be sure if my son's stitches have come apart.  We have to base what we do on how he feels as time goes by.  The good news is that he actually did feel better today.  The better news is that, at his age, enough healing should have already taken place to prevent a re-tearing.  We will see the doctor again in 2 weeks to make sure he is still improving.   Which leaves us, well...much better off than we were last week.  Tonight I am optimistic.  And happy.  A weekend of fasting was very good medicine.  Coupled with prayer and reading, it left me feeling wonderfully optimistic.   The "good" news was just the icing on the cake.  I highly recommend it and will provide specifics if you wish.  That's what I'm here for! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment