Monday, September 3, 2012

Cucumber Water - Easy, Healthy, and Delicious!

Since my husband and I visited Woodward House in Front Royal for my birthday weekend, 3 items have become staples in my diet: a poached egg over a slice of homemade bread, grated orange-peel infused sugar (that I have with Oolong tea), and cucumber water.   I am ashamed to say that I used to be one of those people who just did not like water.  I tried it filtered and could taste metallic and even chlorine-tinted undertones.  I concluded that Nestle's Pure Life was the best bottled water, but I still had to almost force it down to get the up to 8 glasses I needed each day.  It was, for lack of a better word, boring.  And then, I discovered cucumber water. 
 
So simple and yet so refreshing, cucumber water is a delicious and healthy alternative to just about any other "water" out there.  The pitcher in the photo above holds about a quart of water.  I do use bottled water - usually Nestle Pure Life - and add to it 1/2 peeled and sliced cucumber.  I cover it with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator where the flavors become infused.  The finished product, served with or without a slice of cucumber in the glass, has elevated water to a whole new level for me.  The cucumber taste is subtle and very pleasant, making the water taste fresh, crisp, and light.  I believe the cucumber undertones mask any possible unpleasantness inherent in plain water.  But it also elevates it to the level of a "beverage of choice".   I have never really been a huge fan of eating cucumber slices, but in my water, I love them!   And the best part - the "bonus", you could say - is that it is a healthy addition to your diet. 
 
As soon as the cucumber slices hit the water, they begin to impart, not only their crisp clean taste, but their nutrients into the resulting beverage.  Each glass provides Vitamins C, A, and K, as well as Potassium and trace amounts of Iron and Calcium.  And whether you choose to add a small slice of actual cucumber to your glass or not, the water contains fiber and is a natural diuretic.  Ever since I have been drinking this delightful water, I have had no problem with irregularity or with accumulating water weight.  And let's just say that both used to be issues in my life... How much do I drink?  To be honest, about a pitcher to 2 pitchers a day.  Whenever I want water (as opposed to green or herbal tea), I drink cucumber water. 
 
As the water level goes down in the pitcher, I just pour another bottle over the cucumber slices and I'm ready to enjoy another glass (or 2 or 3...).   Make sure to use new cucumber slices every 3 days to keep your water fresh.  I hope that, like me, you too will become a fan of cucumber water and that it will help you to drink those 6 to 8 glasses of water a day, giving you some healthy benefits as well.
 
Until next time, happy and healthy eating (and drinking!) 
 

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I've never heard of putting cucumber into drinking water. I always thought that putting a lemon into water was the gold standard. I will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to drink my cucumbers with Pimm's - a classic British summer drink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is Pimm's? And where can I get it? I love trying new things...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a British liquor. I have some, can't remember where I got it. I'm certain you could get it in DC, but perhaps some VA stores carry it.

    We were first introduced to it in England decades ago. I love it in the summer, but with the kids here, haven't had any. (Their dad doesn't drink, so other than wine, we haven't either while they've been here)

    you can read about it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/13/dining/the-pimms-cup-grows-in-popularity-as-a-summer-cocktail.html
    and here:
    http://napoleonhouse.com/pimmscup.html

    Instead of a cucumber wedge in the glass, I like to put sliced cucumbers in the pitcher when making it. Mash them a little like you would the mint in a mint julep after adding the liquids. Pour over ice. The Brits use "lemonade" but is isn't like our lemonade. Nothing is exactly like it. You can use any lemon-lime drink, but since the ingredients aren't the same, what you'll get will be a good imitation of the real thing. I think perhaps Sierra Mist is the best substitute.

    ReplyDelete