Sunday, February 3, 2013

Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies

Gluten-free.  The word sends shivers down my bread-loving spine.  I can not imagine being on a diet that excludes wheat products.  I can do without steak, french fries, or even ice cream.  And I have done so for going on 11 years.   But wheat?  Bread is my comfort food.  Bread, and all other wheat-based goods, such as scones, cakes, and, on occasion, brownies.   Because I have many friends who are on gluten-free diets, I have been experimenting with gluten free baked goods and found a brownie recipe that I think is surprisingly good.  Especially since the mystery ingredient that takes the place of the wheat is Black Beans; an ingredient that is at once a protein, a "good" carbohydrate, and a great source of fiber - something most of us do not get nearly enough of.  I have made them for a few of my gluten-free friends and have to admit that I like them quite a bit.  The texture is somewhere between a brownie and fudge.  I make these brownies now and then for myself just because they are a healthier choice.   I have had some requests to post the recipe, so here it is as I make it.  Hope you'll give it a try:

Black Bean Brownies

1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (you can get dairy free ones if need be)
3 T. canola oil
3 eggs (or egg replacer powder, which makes them a good Lenten choice)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I use a full cup)
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. baking powder  
1/8 tsp. salt

Place the beans, 1/4 cup chocolate chips and oil in a food processor; cover and process until blended.  Add the eggs (or prepared egg replacer), brown sugar, cocoa, vanilla, baking powder, and salt.  Cover and process until smooth.  (Note:  If you do not have a large food processor, you can just add the processed beans and chips to the other ingredients in a bowl and beat them together.  That's what I had to do).
Transfer batter to a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.  Sprinkle evenly with remaining chocolate chips.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack.  Cut into bars. 
(This is a revised version of the recipe that appeared in Healthy Cooking magazine, Dec'Jan 2013)  Note that it is also dairy-free and can be vegan if you use the egg replacer powder.

I hope 2013 has been good to you so far.  Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment