Thursday, February 7, 2013

Craving a Really Good Salad

Fruits and vegetables.  Even with the new "food plate", our diet is to consist primarily of these foods.  During my recent visit to California, I did something I do not do too often here in Virginia - I ordered a salad.  It had crisp romaine lettuce, the sweetest yellow peppers I have ever had, delectable grape tomatoes, shredded carrots, sweet red onion, cucumbers, and edemame.  The dressing, which I used very little of, was a simple balsamic vinaigrette.  I ate every bite and felt absolutely fabulous the rest of the day.  And I realized that a great salad begins with great ingredients.  The problem is that they are hard to find here in Virginia unless they are from a CSA or a Farmer's Market, which is a problem in late fall, winter, and early spring.  Even the organic produce at high-end supermarkets leave something to be desired - specifically taste.  Non organic produce is all too often imported from places with different standards than ours in terms of pesticide and fungicide use and leave me feeling queasy.  In addition, they are picked way before their prime so that they can be "pretty" when they come state-side. In California, much of the produce is "from California" so it is picked fresh and ripe, and it tastes like it.  My question for you:  how (and where)can I get a really yummy and healthy salad outside of California now - in the heart of winter?

I hope to hear from you.  I am craving that California-style salad big-time!   I hope 2013 has been good to you so far.  Until next time, happy and healthy eating!  

2 comments:

  1. Well, I know the ingredients aren't as fresh as what you had, but Holland American serves the best caesar salads I've ever had on their ships..... They are outside of California in the winter, so that's an option. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I need a good cruise once my youngest goes off to college this coming fall.

    ReplyDelete