Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Better-Than-Most Restaurants' Moo Shu Vegetables

Whenever I go to a Chinese restaurant, depending on my mood and the season, I will either order Moo Goo Gai Pan or Moo Shu Vegetables.  I have never attempted Moo Goo Gai Pan, but last night, for the first time, I made Moo Shu Vegetables.  And they were outstanding!  The recipe came from the September issue of Vegetarian Times and I felt compelled to share it with you.  Not only because I truly enjoyed it, but because my husband did as well.  Allow me to explain.  When he walked in from work and found out what we were having for dinner, he actually scowled.   "I'm sorry", he said, "I've just never liked it."   My son, having heard my husband's hearty endorsement for our upcoming supper didn't look too pleased either.  So with not-too-mild trepidation, I spooned the filling into small flour tortillas, put a Tablespoon of  Hoisin Sauce down the center of each one and rolled them up.  And waited...

We each took a bite at the same time and were all pleasantly surprised.  My husband loved them and my son said they were amazing - better than at the Chinese restaurants.  And I had to agree.  I think it was the combination of vegetables.  Restaurant versions tend to be little more than slivered cabbage with sliced green onions.  This recipe called for a generous amount of thinly sliced shitake mushrooms, fresh ginger, sliced snow peas, and carrots.  The delightful sauce was not as runny as it tends to be in most restaurants either.  It was comprised of a perfect blend of soy sauce, sesame oil (which I cut down to 1 teaspoon since it can be overpowering), rice wine vinegar, honey, and vegetable broth thickened with a little cornstarch.  To keep the dish Vegan, the 3 scrambled eggs it calls for can be replaced with a soft-tofu scramble. 

The recipe can be found at vegetariantimes.com.  And the actual name of it is "Vegetable Moo Shu Wraps".   To quote a favorite T.V. commercial, "Try it, you'll like it!". 

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.  Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment