Thursday, July 19, 2012

Tired of Squash

Last year, the first five or six weeks of farm ownership meant greens - Kale, Swiss Chard, and Collards mainly.  And I loved them all.  With the addition of such things as bacon, golden raisins, and broth, they became a favorite of mine and I really looked forward to cooking them again this year.  Unfortunately, this year there have been very few greens (I think we got Kale once) and tons and tons of squash.  Each and every week we receive zucchini - both green and yellow, and my favorite (not!), patty pan squash (see attached photo).  I have figured out what to do with the zucchini.  I have made bread with them, including such ingredients as chocolate, cinnamon, and walnuts, and they make a nice breakfast side.  Today I made a cake that called for 3 cups of shredded zucchini, along with cocoa, walnuts, and an orange glaze.  And it actually was quite a hit.  But I can not find anything good to do with the patty pan squash.  I have tried stuffing them - they are pretty huge - but have not been satisfied with the results.  I tried a recipe that called for fresh bread crumbs, Parmesan, and bacon, and it was so-so.  Last week I used turkey Italian sausage and mozzarella and was still not impressed.  Any ideas?   I would greatly appreciate it.  I thought the CSA was joking when it said we would be getting 104 days of squash!  I guess they decided to replace their fields of greens with zucchini and patty pans.  Too bad.  I think the squash took over the place!   Squash can do that, you know...

Yes, we have also been receiving fruit each week - from tart cherries to peaches, plums, and apples, and they have been good.  But most of the vegetables have been in the squash family.  Pout.  : (      I used to actually like squash - a lot.  Now, I am sad to say that I am sick of it.  This does not mean that I will not join a CSA again next year, but I may have to try a new one.  Oh well...

Until next time, happy and healthy eating!

2 comments:

  1. Thinly slice the zucchini. Saute with sliced onion until soft and onion is transparent. Add a can of corn and a can of chopped jalepeno peppers. Cook a little while longer (to heat corn and peppers). Spread shredded cheddar cheese on top. Cover the pan, turn off the heat, let sit until cheese melts. Serve.

    One of our favorite summer dishes! (My sister calls it acabazitas)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It sounds wonderful. Any ideas for those Patty Pans? Looking forward to hearing from you again...

    ReplyDelete