Thursday, October 20, 2011

Carrot Cake Oatmeal? Try it, You'll Like It!

Those of you who know me well know that I usually recommend including a bowl of oatmeal as part of your breakfast, and that my favorite cake is carrot cake.  So imagine my delight when a good friend sent me a recipe for "Carrot Cake Oatmeal" (pictured here).  I was hesitant in making it at first - afraid it would be disappointing, as pumpkin oatmeal turned out to be last year.  But, made as recommended, it was surprisingly good!  I had it for breakfast 3 times this week and will continue to make it as the mood arises.  The recipe I was given was completely Vegan and goes as follows:
1 cup Almond milk (I used Almond Breeze, which I highly recommend, since it contains 25% of the daily minimum requirement of calcium, among other things), 1/2 t. lemon juice, 2 T. Coconut Cream (the recipe says to skim it off the top of canned coconut milk.  I actually found coconut curd and used a Tablespoon of that), 1/2 to 1 t. cinnamon, 1/4 t. ground ginger, 1/8  t. ground nutmeg, pinch of salt, 1 cup finely grated carrot, 1/2 cup regular oats, 1 t. vanilla, and 2 T. maple syrup.    In a small saucepan, heat almond milk, lemon juice and coconut cream on medium heat.  Stir in spices and salt until spices dissolve.  Stir in grated carrot and oats; cook for 8 minutes until oats are soft.  Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and maple syrup.  Drizzle with 1/2 t. maple syrup mixed with coconut cream, and (optionally) top with a few chopped walnuts, golden raisins, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.. 

It sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't at all.  I grate the carrot the night before and just squeeze a little lemon into it while it is on the stove.  The rest is really easy.  If, like me, you are a carrot cake fan, try this recipe and let me know what you think of it.  

I hope you are all doing well.  This fall has been so busy for me - something I had not expected with one of my two boys in college.  I hope to write more in here soon.   But until then, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment