Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Update on Our Farm

It's been a while since I have posted anything about our CSA and I have been receiving several inquiries lately.  Mainly, "Is it worth it to join one?", and, "Will you do it again next year?  Personally, I have enjoyed it.  Nothing I have eaten has "bothered me" and a lot of store-bought produce does, especially greens.  I think there has been more Kale and Chard than my husband was hoping for, and the Asian pears taste like raw potatoes, but besides that, it has been great. 

As for the greens, I have learned to really enjoy them, especially using recipes I find online.  Kale is a bit chewy, but the flavor is nice and it is so good for you.  As for the "tasteless" Chinese pears, I baked them into a cake (see photo above).  I found the recipe online and reduced the 3/4 cups oil it called for to 1/4 cup, adding 1/2 cup applesauce as a substitute for the remaining oil.  I also used eggbeaters for the 3 eggs it called for and cut the pecans down from 1 cup to 1/2 cup.   And it turned out great - passed the "younger son" taste-test with flying colors.

One thing you need to realize if you join a farm (or CSA as they are called) is that they can only grow what is in season for your region.  And here, in Northern Virginia, it has been a lot of greens, peaches, corn, beets, Japanese eggplant, green beans, apples, and Chinese pears (so far).  This week, we will receive our first installment of squash - acorn squash, to be exact.  I imagine that over the next month or two, we will be receiving different types of squash, as well as cooking pumpkins, and potatoes.  And that will be fine with me! 

Will we do it next year?  For my husband, I may try our local Farmer's Market instead.  He wants me to try going there once a week and actually choosing what we want, as opposed to getting a box filled with what our farm is growing that week, divided out to each "member" as the crops allow.  But I have a feeling we will be back the following year.  I have really enjoyed our farm and all the new foods it has introduced to our diet.

Fall officially begins this week.  Can you believe it?   I hope you all had a wonderful summer!  Until next time, happy and healthy eating! 

No comments:

Post a Comment